Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Powder coating (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/307988-powder-coating.html)

12meter joe 01-29-2014 03:09 PM

Powder coating

So I've kicked around the idea of powder coating all my cleats and rails. My question is how durable is powder coating? Chip easy? Typically does it last a couple years with normal wear and tear? I don't really have any expreince with it so any input would be appreciated!

Wally 01-29-2014 03:17 PM

from my experience it all depends on who's doing it and how they do it!! I have had some powder coating done where i have bent the part to almost 90* (not by choice) and bent it back and it didnt so much as put a stress crack in it!! Other stuff i have had chip like automotive paint and then goes and peels...ask to see their work up close or get a sample part they can part with so you can do some abuse testing! :D

bonesmalon 01-29-2014 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by 12meter joe (Post 4065592)
So I've kicked around the idea of powder coating all my cleats and rails. My question is how durable is powder coating? Chip easy? Typically does it last a couple years with normal wear and tear? I don't really have any expreince with it so any input would be appreciated!

I've powder coated stuff like the "shoes" that interface between the control arms and skis on snowmobiles, the coils of shocks, underwater LEDs and all have held up very well I wou
D think cleats would be a good application

502ss 01-29-2014 05:43 PM

I have had a ton of stuff powder coated and it holds up very well! The intakes, all the pulleys, valve covers and air cleaners are all powdercoated. All the parts on the jet pump and the swim platforms are all powdercoated!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...b/078482c6.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i4...i/6813b9be.jpg

12meter joe 01-29-2014 05:53 PM

Well I guess that answer my question. Whats it cost?

502ss 01-29-2014 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by 12meter joe (Post 4065709)
Well I guess that answer my question. Whats it cost?

Sorry that I can't help you with! The guy that does mine likes beer so it's usually what ever the going cost of a 24 pack is!

12meter joe 01-29-2014 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 502ss (Post 4065721)
Sorry that I can't help you with! The guy that does mine likes beer so it's usually what ever the going cost of a 24 pack is!

Heck I will send him my parts with a couple cases!:lolhit:

gerg g. 01-29-2014 06:56 PM

had all of my hardware redone some anodizsd most powder coated. went to the best shop i could find in my area [ absolute poudercoating ] i think around 70+ pieces around 250$ i think to strip and re coat looks as good as a couple of new pieces i purchased and had done also. just a note parts i had anodized cost a arm and leg and does not look as good ro hold up as well as powder coat.

12meter joe 01-29-2014 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by gerg g. (Post 4065751)
had all of my hardware redone some anodizsd most powder coated. went to the best shop i could find in my area [ absolute poudercoating ] i think around 70+ pieces around 250$ i think to strip and re coat looks as good as a couple of new pieces i purchased and had done also. just a note parts i had anodized cost a arm and leg and does not look as good ro hold up as well as powder coat.

So you had 70+ pieces done for $250ish?

502ss 01-29-2014 07:22 PM

What are you thinking for colors?

If you find a guy that does industrial/commercial powder coating he can usually put your parts in the oven with a bunch of other parts of the same color. Lots of these guys doing these big commercial jobs are always doing black, white, red, etc. I think a lot of the cost is in the fuel to run the ovens and prep if you want them to strip the parts. The powder isn't very expensive and very little labor to spray them because it doesn't take the time and precision like liquid paint. He just points the gun at the part and the paint is attracted to the metal like a magnet!

jbraun2828 01-29-2014 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 502ss (Post 4065775)
What are you thinking for colors?

If you find a guy that does industrial/commercial powder coating he can usually put your parts in the oven with a bunch of other parts of the same color. Lots of these guys doing these big commercial jobs are always doing black, white, red, etc. I think a lot of the cost is in the fuel to run the ovens and prep if you want them to strip the parts. The powder isn't very expensive and very little labor to spray them because it doesn't take the time and precision like liquid paint. He just points the gun at the part and the paint is attracted to the metal like a magnet!

Exactly, if they have to fire up the oven just for you and your crazy color it will get pricey. I had two 280 k planes done black for $40.

12meter joe 01-29-2014 07:32 PM

I'm just looking to do like 10 pieces white.

jbraun2828 01-29-2014 07:36 PM

It will be very reasonable and I'm sure they run white everyday. Just have everything stripped, sanded and ready to go.

502ss 01-29-2014 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by jbraun2828 (Post 4065798)
It will be very reasonable and I'm sure they run white everyday. Just have everything stripped, sanded and ready to go.

And try to be flexible with timing that way if they are not running white better off try to wait until they are!

Katanna 01-29-2014 07:47 PM

http://www.qccoatings.com/

This place is just of 23 mile in Macomb Twp. I have been using them for years for custom harley parts and boat parts. They did the headers on my jet boat in a high luster chrome look. They looked perfect after two years of not so gentle use. They should be able to ball park it over the phone for you.

12meter joe 01-29-2014 07:48 PM

That was my next question, to sand or not. A light sanding with fine grit?

Katanna 01-29-2014 07:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I never do a thing to the parts I take in. They are going to blast it themselves so they can stand behind it. My headers were flaking rust chrome when I dropped them off.[ATTACH=CONFIG]517459[/ATTACH]

abmotorman 01-29-2014 09:53 PM

Powder Coat

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 12meter joe (Post 4065787)
I'm just looking to do like 10 pieces white.

White is a single step job which is usually very cheap since food industry equipment is regularly done this way. If your pieces are small it's very easy to do in an oven you never intend to cook food in again.

I had translucent 2 stage pieces last spring that were mostly done correctly locally. They missed the timing and the base (chrome) hardened a little too much, so it was redone. On a single stage, a rough base with proper base preparation, this stuff is very durable.

12meter joe 01-29-2014 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Katanna (Post 4065821)

This place is just of 23 mile in Macomb Twp. I have been using them for years for custom harley parts and boat parts. They did the headers on my jet boat in a high luster chrome look. They looked perfect after two years of not so gentle use. They should be able to ball park it over the phone for you.

Cool thanks, I live 2 miles from this place!

johnny b good 02-03-2014 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Katanna (Post 4065821)

Definitely Q.C. Coatings. Bill Walker will take care of you. My 1997 Powerquest had the factory painted white out finish on all the metal on the boat, Bolster frames, grab handles, cleats, bow rails, bow light etc. The original finish was chipped and scratched up due to poor factory prep. Q.C. Coatings redid everything on the boat in 2007/2008 and it still looks brand new with no chips or scratches.

Drake22.250 02-12-2014 07:54 PM

Watch what you take in. Had my imco extention boxes done at the place on Groesbeck south of hall road. They stripped them down and dimples appeared in the alunimum. Powder coated over them and made them look worse than when I took them in. Didn't give a **** I was unhappy. Brother paid and picked them up for me.

johnny b good 02-13-2014 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Drake22.250 (Post 4073842)
Watch what you take in. Had my imco extention boxes done at the place on Groesbeck south of hall road. They stripped them down and dimples appeared in the alunimum. Powder coated over them and made them look worse than when I took them in. Didn't give a **** I was unhappy. Brother paid and picked them up for me.

I believe you’re talking about Finishing Specialties, if so they will powder coat but they mostly do commercial industry work. Probably not the first choice for fussy hobbyist stuff like cars, boats, bikes, etc.

Drake22.250 02-13-2014 12:34 PM

JBG your right, have to try the Q.C. Coatings next round. Want to rechrome some parts for my Magnum any suggestions?

johnny b good 02-13-2014 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Drake22.250 (Post 4074323)
JBG your right, have to try the Q.C. Coatings next round. Want to rechrome some parts for my Magnum any suggestions?

These guys have chrome plated special wrenches we made for Gulfstream Aerospace and are very happy with the quality.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-16110274...ome-eastpointe

glassdave 02-13-2014 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Drake22.250 (Post 4074323)

all my show car and restoration stuff i had done at Fini Finish up in Warren. There not for the weak at heart but ya get what ya pay for in that biz. I have had dozens of cars done through them with some of the restorations i did in the past with truly perfect results. If your super super particular or need an un obtainable part reproduced have the bench work done at Don Sommer American Arrow and they will have Fini chrome them.

http://www.fini-finish.com/

http://www.americanarrowcorp.com/

for powder coating I had real good luck with Jeffs over on Detroit Ave there in Monroe. I took him a very ratty pitted swim platform that i deemed un saveable and i think it looks great (actually really great) keep in mind theres not much that can be done when the parent metal is trashed like that. You can over apply and try and flow it but thats about it. He did some remarkable stuff with what i gave him and i couldn't be happier.

http://www.jpcoatings.com/jpcoatings/Welcome.html

Drake22.250 02-13-2014 08:51 PM

Thanks Dave, tried calling Jeff's three or four times. Right around the corner too, I will have to stop in. Making any progress on your end?

phragle 02-13-2014 09:14 PM

I forget the name of the place, buts its in Romulus just north of the airport. They did the swingarms I was making for a while. Always good durable work, on time and fair prices. I used a place ONCE on camp perry, horrible work, bare spots, runs etc. don't go there.

glassdave 02-13-2014 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Drake22.250 (Post 4074631)
Thanks Dave, tried calling Jeff's three or four times. Right around the corner too, I will have to stop in. Making any progress on your end?

yeah he is right around the corner from you. leave a message he'll get back to you for sure, he works a day job and powder coat on second shift. been at it for a while and has some nice equipment can accommodate pretty big parts.

I talked to Brian about the logos just let me know what ya need I'll take care of ya. moving right along thought otherwise.

glassdave 02-13-2014 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by phragle (Post 4074654)
I forget the name of the place, buts its in Romulus just north of the airport. They did the swingarms I was making for a while. Always good durable work, on time and fair prices. I used a place ONCE on camp perry, horrible work, bare spots, runs etc. don't go there.

dont know who that is but I can tell ya stay away from RAD Coatings inc in Milan MI most half azzed job ive ever seen. worst part is I had a guy that worked for me pick up the stuff. not sure who I was more pissed at my guy for being so un observant or Ron for actually passing work that sh!tty.

Meshikinquah 02-15-2014 04:14 AM

Good info ^^^