Gel coat buffing and polishing >

Gel coat buffing and polishing

Notices

Gel coat buffing and polishing

Old 02-05-2014, 01:40 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok question. On the Aqua buff, which one. I would assume F since W is not for white hulls.

http://www.duratec1.com/pdf/AquaBuffProductSelector.pdf
Old 02-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called Presta and spoke to a Gary there. He was very helpful and very knowledgeable. I will be ordering there pads and the following products Ultra Cutting Crème Light for the buffing and Marine UV Crème wax for the final wax. I will be purchasing the random orbital buffer from Harbor Freight, they offer a warranty for 10.00 on the buffer. Plan on doing the whole boat in the next couple of weeks. I will take some before and after pics and let ya'll know how it all turns out.

Greg
Old 02-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jv you can get aqua cheaper from ccp or composites one. Aqua 1000 then you can go aqua 2000 but I prefer presta super cut after the aqua 1000. Remember it goes a very very long way. When it starts getting dry use a spray bottle with water for example a dab with a 3 inch chip brush it will do a 2 to 3 foot area.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey miller try to get the black and white twisted wool pads they last longer. And keep them separate or wash them. No dishwasher that can lead to divorce or closed legs for a couple of weeks.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Registered

Do you put the Aqua 1000 or the Presta Ultra cutting cream on with a high speed buffer or is the orbital sufficient?
Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 AM
Registered

Liquid:

When I talked to Presta they really wanted me to use a high speed but warned to be real careful. This scared the chit out of me don't want to burn the finish. They said with a dual action I will get the desired results just might take a little longer to build the heat in the product to get the results. I am willing to take a little extra time and not chance f***ing anything up.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:07 AM
Registered

Thanks Miller
I have to agree with you I have all the time in the world right now since I can't put it in the water.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Registered

I agree, 3M sucks. I always laugh when someone comes up and talks to us about our product choices and they say they'll stick with Perfect-it. You see them later struggling with a dull boat full of swirls/holograms. I prefer to finish with Meguiars M105/101/100 and their microfiber cutting disks on a dual action. It really brings the gloss and depth out. Lasting results don't lie.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 PM
Registered

Btw, when purchasing Aqua Buff, get the 1 gallon pail. You may think you will need more compared to how much 3M you would use, but one gallon will do a cruise ship or your whole marina. I've had the same pail for almost 2 years and I've probably got 1/2 left. You barely use any on a single boat.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not think this was too bad given that it was 3M Super cut and not even polished. Wool pad.
I think it's got everything to do with whom is doing it. I will give it on the long term of water based though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.