Baja center floor repair >

Baja center floor repair

Notices

Baja center floor repair

Old 03-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Baja center floor repair

I have a 99 33 Outlaw that has a softspot in the removable section of the floor. After I get the old fiberglass and wood removed from the backside how should I repair it?? Resin, glass, wood and glass or just resin , wood, then glass?? Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

How big is the soft spot? Is it a soft spot or just flexes by the access hole btw the bolsters?
Mine has a lil flex right there. Even watched it move the same with my 6'9" bro n law walk on it.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
I have a 99 33 Outlaw that has a softspot in the removable section of the floor. After I get the old fiberglass and wood removed from the backside how should I repair it?? Resin, glass, wood and glass or just resin , wood, then glass?? Any tips would be appreciated.
Ayuh,.... Yer lay-up schedule will depend on yer choice of resin,...

If yer usin' polyester, you'll need mat to form the resin rich area,...

Usin' epoxy, you can skip the mat, 'n just use cloth alone for strength,...

With either resin, you'll want some fillers for makin' putty, like cabosil, 'n micro-spheres,...
Old 03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nailit
How big is the soft spot? Is it a soft spot or just flexes by the access hole btw the bolsters?
Mine has a lil flex right there. Even watched it move the same with my 6'9" bro n law walk on it.
It's alittle more than that.....I can tell the reinforcement has broken loose....
Old 03-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Are you sure its wood cored? Mine is polypropylene honeycomb and is loose/broken.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Are you sure its wood cored? Mine is polypropylene honeycomb and is loose/broken.
I think mine is like that too, don't think it's wood. It's only about 3/8 or so thick. I was just under ther in spring when I noticed the holster bolts were a lil loose.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
I'm not sure but that's what I'm going to repair it with
Old 03-24-2014, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kennyo, mine (2001) was end grain balsa core about 3/4 inch thick. I had a big water logged section in front of the rear bench seat from water ingress around the seat base attachement screws. I replaced it with plywood which makes for a heavy but sturdy floor. Be careful when removing the core. If it is wood it will have to be ground out even though that takes a ton of time. I got a little anxious with mine and went through the top surface (floor) and now have an ugly scar about 2 inches long. Also I did not bed the new wood in well enough (well hey, I was new to all this stuff when I did this) and now have a little seperation between the floor fiberglass and the plywood core in one small spot.

I am curious as to how you will bond the fiberglass to the honeycomb and not just fill the honeycomb with resin. Please post pictures of your repair on this. Good luck.

Dan
Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
I'm not sure but that's what I'm going to repair it with
I have a soft/broken spot right where your feet go when holding on to the front bolsters.

Rough day I guess.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 AM
Registered

Where can you get that balsa core?? I don't need more weight

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.