Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Trim Tab screws ...3 striped out ....advice ..Please ? >

Trim Tab screws ...3 striped out ....advice ..Please ?

Notices

Trim Tab screws ...3 striped out ....advice ..Please ?

Old 07-14-2014, 06:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trim Tab screws ...3 striped out ....advice ..Please ?

I have a 29 PQ the last weekend i accidentally left one of the trims tabs down,,, when the forklift grabbed it kinda tore out some of the screws.

I noticed this after it was taking our some water and the bilge was running.. so i took it out and noticed the problem with the trim tab.

I have so far took the starboard side tab off and straightened it out in the vise and got new stainless screws. Problem is 3 of the 5 are striped out ?

I got new #14 x 1.5 inch screws and 3 will not grab really well ..do i go with 2" screws ? . i also got a tube of 4200.

question is what do i do to fix this ....

Can the Powerful network of OSO help me out ?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-14-2014, 07:14 AM
Registered

I am not sure if you can but would you be able to access the back and threw bolt them?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Registered

Not that i can see
Old 07-14-2014, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

get a tube of epoxy with the instant mix tip and pump it into the holes. or drill them bigger and epoxy dowel pins in the holes. or drill a little bigger and push in poly resin and shredded glass fibers. or get REALLY BIG screws. or, you may want to remount tabs at a flatter angle anyway. closer to waterline instead of angled to match transom. there are a lot of people feel tabs work better this way. if you do this, just epoxy up and redrill elsewhere. 4200 is a sealer, not a structural repair. it won't hold screws in stripped holes. it will stop water coming in good holes. edit; taking on water and pump running implies bolts go all the way through transom. u might wanna check a lil closer in there.

Last edited by dereknkathy; 07-14-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Registered

Yes, i will check it out closer tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:50 AM
JBA
Registered

Don’t want to ruin your day but trim tab screws have been the cause of many transoms rotting out. I only know because I lost two of them this way and had to replace everything.
I would take the time to see if this has started on yours or not and if it has not then yes I would drill larger and fill with a dowel and resin. I would also take the time to remove the other tab and re seal all of the screw holes with your 4200 just as a prevention.