Newbie Q for Glassdave

Notices

Newbie Q for Glassdave

Old 09-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Newbie Q for Glassdave

Hi Dave and/or anybody else who cares to chime in,

My '90 cafe racer has a few chips and scratches i'd like to clean up. I've never done any fiberglass/gelcoat repair but figured that a good place to try it out would be at the bow where i'm replacing a big@ass "international shorty" horn with a mini horn, since the footprint of the shorty's screw holes is smaller leaving them exposed.

Should i just get one of those white gelcoat repair kits or pints? (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Fibre-Glass-Ev...oat+repair+kit). Or is it the case that i should worry about getting just the right shade of white? Sorry if its a silly question... there's a lot i don't know about but I'm learning

Also, would you recommend using a gelcoat with wax, one without wax, without wax but adding "sanding aid", or without wax and cover it up with clear packing tape while drying?

Thanks for the advice and kudos to you for being so helpful to everyone.

Will
Old 09-27-2014, 03:41 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi Will, no prob man no such thing as a silly question. Screw holes can be kind of tricky, the smaller repairs are more sensitive to color match as theres not much room for a blend. I usually fill the repair with a mix of resin and west systems 404 then use a waxed gel for the color. You might even try one of the gel repair kits from West Marine they come with a few tints to help adjust the color but be careful the can be strong. Are you trying to spray the gel or fill the repair?
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Registered

Thanks for the advice dave. To be more specific about my question, i have an older white cigarette (in the pic it looks rather blueish i suppose because i was in the shade). Just to be clear, i can just get the standard white gelcoat and use that right? So first fill the hole up with something epoxy or resin/404, gotcha. I was just going to tape it from the backside and pour some gel in there, glad i asked!

I won't be spraying, just brushing it on/in.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

blown..........stick to a polyester or vinylester resin w/404 for the patch not the epoxy resin..........gelcoat is more compatable with PE or VE not epoxy.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 PM
Registered

Hi Scippy. a polyester resin is something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Environmental-...olyester+resin
so equal parts of the resin and 404? thx

Last edited by blown; 09-30-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

If your going by weight, ppour your resin in a cup and wiegh it. then add 404 untill you have peanut butter, then add your mekp, set the scale for metric, makes it much simpler to calculate the mekp.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blown
Hi Scippy. a polyester resin is something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/Environmental-...olyester+resin
so equal parts of the resin and 404? thx

more like this http://www.amazon.com/Polyester-Resi...berglass+resin
Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 PM
Registered

so if i understand correctly, the amount of mekp to harden relates only to the amount of resin used. 404 goes in but doesn't need its own hardener, or affect the amount of mekp. Sorry for all the questions gents. this is all new to me want to make sure i understand correctly.

ok so i've added a scale to the "buy list"
Old 10-01-2014, 12:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
THANKS, added to cart! OSO should get a commission for all the stuff I'm buying based on recommendations here
Old 10-01-2014, 12:17 AM
Registered

the 404 is kinda like a powder you dump some into the resin, mix it up, dump more untill its the thickness you want. It takes a little more 404 than one would think, so dont be suprised there. With the scale, your going 1%. Set it to metric, ero out your scale with the container your going to use, then add the resin... say 500 grams. then add your 404 once your at the consitancy you want, put it back on the scale, zero it out and ad 5 grams mekp.

Doing it this way gives you more pot life because it isnt cooking while your adding the 404, looking for your stir stick and spilling 404 all over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.