Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Rotten bulkhead HELP! >

Rotten bulkhead HELP!

Notices

Rotten bulkhead HELP!

Old 07-07-2016, 01:04 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a question for everyone now that the hard part is behind us. It has been gel coated but is not as shiny as I would like. I have been looking at Awlgrip to brush on as a top coat. I have also heard Rustoleum with a hardener, Perfection by Interlux, Imron with no thinner and Sherwin Williams Tile-clad hs as other good choices.

My goal is durability and high gloss shine that will last and not discolor. I do not want to do this twice and will spend the money to do it right if needed.

What do you all recommend???

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 07-07-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Had very good luck with Rustoleum and Hardener. Shines and wears awesome. Didn't see discoloration but I touched it up every time engine was out too. Will be painting my new boat's bilge with it when engines are refreshed this winter.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I did my engine compartment in my 32, the gel coat I rolled on with wax added was chalky when cured and dirt seamed to discolor it easily. Went to west marine and bought what they call a top coat. Now its shiny and cleans easy.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:41 PM
Registered

Well I have been sanding for the last two days... I think I could sand for two weeks straight sunup to sundown to possibly get it totally flat and smooth but I'm throwing in the towel on sanding! It's way smoother now then when it rolled out of the factory by a massive margin so I think I will be happy once it's painted.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MRALLEN
When I did my engine compartment in my 32, the gel coat I rolled on with wax added was chalky when cured and dirt seamed to discolor it easily. Went to west marine and bought what they call a top coat. Now its shiny and cleans easy.
Yes I noticed that about mine as well. Just from me poking around and walking on it etc. I noticed it was getting dirty pretty easy and it didn't wipe off it seemed to soak it up and is porous to some degree. That's what sealed the deal for me on painting it again with something more resistant to the long term abuse. Only after hosing it down with degreaser and scrubbing has it come clean again but I really don't want to do that every time.