Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Rotten bulkhead HELP! >

Rotten bulkhead HELP!

Notices

Rotten bulkhead HELP!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.pacificpowerboats.net/service-list.htm They are actually a pretty good service center as to what your looking at they are capable its just he cost. Fiberglassing takes 60 plus degrees and low moisture we both know you have a few months to plan get on the phone the shops are all getting slammed now.

Last edited by Pliant; 04-03-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pliant
http://www.pacificpowerboats.net/service-list.htm They are actually a pretty good service center as to what your looking at they are capable its just he cost. Fiberglassing takes 60 plus degrees and low moisture we both know you have a few months to plan get on the phone the shops are all getting slammed now.
Hey someone on OSO that is local!! Funny thing is that place is about 3 miles from my house and I was just in there buying parts for my exhaust project a week ago lol. Didn't think they did that kind of repairs though. Have you used them before for this type of thing and are they reasonable?

Edit: just checked their site and sure enough they list dry rot and fiberglass repairs... could be promising!

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 04-03-2015 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

glad you have a shot at somebody local. get there tomorrow and see if they have a time frame that would work with you. or see what is needed to get a time frame built. if they have the indoor space, they can probably be doing the work in dead of winter. another thought, get the boat surveyed. you tap with a screwdriver and no experience. the surveyor with a license and a decade of experience or more and a moisture meter will show you what you need and where. may even be able to point you to somebody who can do the work. they are also pretty dialed in to the boating community where they live-work...and yeah, (ay-yuh) sea-cast is bondo.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do my own stuff but I had a buddy who used them they were good and were priced competivley

Last edited by Pliant; 04-03-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
glad you have a shot at somebody local. get there tomorrow and see if they have a time frame that would work with you. or see what is needed to get a time frame built. if they have the indoor space, they can probably be doing the work in dead of winter. another thought, get the boat surveyed. you tap with a screwdriver and no experience. the surveyor with a license and a decade of experience or more and a moisture meter will show you what you need and where. may even be able to point you to somebody who can do the work. they are also pretty dialed in to the boating community where they live-work...and yeah, (ay-yuh) sea-cast is bondo.
Well the shop that I have do it hopefully will be able to give me an accurate estimate... I hope! A survey would be a good idea but a little late for that you can bet I will have one done if there is a next time after this mess! I do like your idea about the surveyors having a good idea on where to take it for repairs though I never thought of that! How much are surveys typically?

Originally Posted by Pliant
I do my own stuff but I had a buddy who used them they were good and were priced competivley
You need any extra work by chance?! Lol.

Nice to know they do good work, I'll call them tomorrow and see what the deal is I'm sure I'll have to drag it down there for a good estimate.

Last edited by Diamond Dave; 04-03-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey theres a few of us left coasters, we live out side of Wenatchee on the Columbia. Good luck and now you have me worried, lol.
Old 04-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the surveyor will tell you what needs to be done, and what doesn't need to be done. if you take it to somebody and say fix it, you will never know for sure if extra unnecessary work was done, or if they didn't do something they should have cuz it was too much trouble. i paid 10 bucks a foot for a couple of surveys a decade ago. surveyor could also tell you if this boating season is lost or if you could get away with one more summer...
Old 04-04-2015, 02:12 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Your putting way too much faith in the capability of a surveyor. Most I've dealt with can't tell a formula from a fountain. Had one look at a top gun for a customer and suggest the customer call cigarette because maybe the center stringer is supposed to be hollow....
Old 04-04-2015, 02:43 AM
Registered

I agree with JD. I think most of them are used to doing blow boats.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I'd be surprised if you found a reputable shop to properly repair that for cheaper than 5k.
It's always worse than you could see when you start cutting it apart.

That's why you see so many of these old boats parted out. It's just not economical to try to repair them when they rot. It's doable, but not economical or easy.
So True and Also

Thats why people who intend on keeping an old boat try to find the largest coolest boat they can find to re do because they know that the will be with it for a long time and will not most likely ever recover their costs

Last edited by welfare racing; 04-04-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.