Notices

Gibco flex-mold

Old 09-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gibco flex-mold

I want to do something other than carpet in my cockpit area and found the gibco flex mold. Is this stuff hard to work with? I watched their videos and it doesn't look terribly hard but they are professionals. Is this something that can be done as a diy project? Im working over a entirely new floor of 3/4 ply, 2 layers of 1708 with VE.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

they are here in my backyard. it is a good product. The company has a new owner as I just met him.

I am sure they or he will answer any of your questions. I have seen many demo's in person from them and their end result always came out very well.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:59 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I've used it several times with great results, I'm actually doing a very large one (4'x12') some time next week. it works well but you have to think it through and its good to have a couple extra hands in there that are capable. This time of year it gets a bit more forgiving, I did one mid summer that almost got away from me, there is not a whole lot of room for error.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-29-2015, 09:23 PM
Registered

Hey Dave think you could post some progress pics when you do it next week that way I can learn another thing from your infinite knowledge and it would be easier to reference for your book. Lol
Old 09-29-2015, 10:00 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

I
Originally Posted by BUP
they are here in my backyard. it is a good product. The company has a new owner as I just met him.

I am sure they or he will answer any of your questions. I have seen many demo's in person from them and their end result always came out very well.
hey B-up, if you have a chance could you ask them if anyone has ever put one under a vacuum? I was thinking I might try using one of the vac bag techniques we use for glasswork.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:53 PM
Registered

Ok I got my info packet from gibco I really like their product but if I added it up correctly its going to cost me almost $500 before shipping to do a 4x5 area. My next thought was to find out if anyone has used flex mold on their project and now has a used mold sitting on the shelf. So if anyone has a mold they want to sell please let me know, i cant see spending that much for a one time use.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Registered

I have carpet that I hate and was actually thinking about some of the fake teak that they swear you can not tell from real but like the idea of this even better....

I looked at several videos on there site but could not find one that actually showed them applying it to a large area, am I missing something? Does it get any cheaper if you buy twice as much? (group buy?)
Old 10-02-2015, 10:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sea Dek is the route I am going from here on out even for headliners. I have a boat to rig over the winter and I am going this route plus its adds very little weight to the boat. You can get all different thickness of Sea Dek plus can get different colors and textures along with the look of teak.

Carpet and huge pieces of interior especially for side panels is out plus can add extra weight and sometimes a lot of extra weight.

It is not a cheap product to buy, but either is custom carpet and interior. just saying

Last edited by BUP; 10-02-2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:10 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Originally Posted by seebold 236
Ok I got my info packet from gibco I really like their product but if I added it up correctly its going to cost me almost $500 before shipping to do a 4x5 area. My next thought was to find out if anyone has used flex mold on their project and now has a used mold sitting on the shelf. So if anyone has a mold they want to sell please let me know, i cant see spending that much for a one time use.
unfortunately, as in my case, the molds are usually custom cut to a given application. I have nearly a thousand in the 4x12 piece I have. yes its expensine but it works very well
Old 10-04-2015, 07:33 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Im doing the sea dek on my 20, dave has it out there already. Cost was about 300 bucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.