Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Transom replacement (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/334215-transom-replacement.html)

1stFormula 02-01-2016 03:16 PM

Transom replacement

I have a 1998 353 Fastech. The transom is rotted in it. The formula boats has a lay support it looks like that goes up the back part way . Can that be cut out or does it have to stay? Has any one replace the transom in a Fastech and do you have any suggestions?

79formula 02-01-2016 07:00 PM

I have done a few transoms on my Formulas. Mine are older. I had to cut everything about 8 inches from the transom. Thats the only way to make enough room to get the new plywood in. I bet you will have to cut it, then replace it later on.

phragle 02-01-2016 07:09 PM

Is your bilge the one with the whole fiberglass innerliner deal?? If so talk to glassdave, he has one of those apart right now...

BenPerfected 02-01-2016 09:55 PM

A new transom comes under the category of " nothing money won't fix". I have done it twice.

glassdave 02-03-2016 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1stFormula (Post 4399368)
I have a 1998 353 Fastech. The transom is rotted in it. The formula boats has a lay support it looks like that goes up the back part way . Can that be cut out or does it have to stay? Has any one replace the transom in a Fastech and do you have any suggestions?

Your boat has a full bilge liner with integrated stringers, the only wood in the stringers is a stack right at the mount for compression. Its a bit of a chore to get around but not impossible. Its actually more of a surgical procedure. You can cut parts of the liner but re installing those must be done with care, you will also need to be creative about how its done to insure 110% of its integrity.

1stFormula 02-05-2016 01:48 PM

Thanks for all the input. Does not look like it is going to be an easy one.

DoubleThunder 02-20-2016 08:35 AM

1st Formula Any idea why it went bad and what made you realize it was. I have a 98 as well and want to check it out. Have done a ton of work so far and the transom is one thing I worry about although it seems solid.

JRider 02-21-2016 09:43 AM

Where is the rot and how do you know it is rotten? I would do a thorough drill test to see the extent of the rot. I watched a former member named borgie cut his whole transom up and it looked pretty damn solid to me.

1stFormula 10-19-2016 01:59 PM

So sorry for just now getting back. We think It started where the exhaust went threw the starboard side. I have taken the thunder box off of it. I am convinced that was the issue.

1stFormula 10-19-2016 02:00 PM

It was very bad. It had to be completely rebuilt. They said it was one of the worst they have seen.