Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
another wax & polish question >

another wax & polish question

Notices

another wax & polish question

Old 03-28-2016, 03:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wax is a final stage, a sealant goes on first. Wax is sacrificial, and over a period of weeks will dissolve. It odes offer some protection but usually just helps with the look and shine. A sealant is as is states...it seals against the elements but this too will dissolve as time passes.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by masi242
Sorry never used a sealent before, so would you put wax on top or do you just compound then a sealent.
Synthetic sealants are generally applied and removed pretty much exactly like a regular wax. (Apply, let haze, wipe off.) You can apply them to any clean surface either alone or after polishing. Most sealants require about a 12 hour cure even though you might have wiped off the haze as directed. After they are cured, you can apply additional coats of sealant or a wax. Generally speaking, you apply wax over sealant and not the other way around.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks, this will be on my list for the spring, now do I order Fountion of Youth or Rejex? I have read Glassdave talk about FoY.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you give me a list of "Sealants". I've only done the de-oxidation and wax process

thank you

3pointstar
Old 03-28-2016, 10:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
Can you give me a list of "Sealants". I've only done the de-oxidation and wax process

thank you

3pointstar
There are tons of sealants available out there. Too many to list in fact. Based on personal experience, the only one I'd avoid is Meguiar's NXT. The ones I've used and like include Zaino and Menzerna Power Lock. Hope that helps.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been using Rejex for the past 3 seasons with great results, sits in covered barn in off season then on a hoist for the summer. I buff it with Presta then use the Rejex, shines and beads water all summer.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am using flurr polish and seem to be getting awesome results from it on boat that Sat neglected since 90 seems to be bringing back shine and deep gloss to this old fiberglass hull...any one has words of caution....???