Notices

pizza cutter

Old 11-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pizza cutter

I have a 24' deep v that I run in fresh water only. I need to sand and paint the hull and was wondering if Awlgrip 2000 is what I should use. The longest the boat will be kept in the water will be 1 week. The rest of the summer it will be pulled out of the water each nite. I am running 75 mph and dont want to lose speed. The bottom is rough now so I hope a new paint job will increase my speed. Any info would be great......
Old 11-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Re: Hull Paint Question ?

FYI, a slick bottom will slow you down.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:47 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

How do you figure? Anything that reduces drag will increase speed.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

They say the same thing about drives, polished versus satin.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:19 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All true stuff - very difficult to calculate on a short hull at speeds less than 100 and over 100 the hull is not in the water - paint the boat so it is nice and shinney the chicks will dig it and you will be getting laid more often -

Read the instructions on paint can -aliphatic polyurethanes as a rule should not be used below - However for short periods of a week or so in water temps lesss than 75 degrees the paint (if properly cured generally 30 days @ 77 degrees F) they paint will not have enough time to hydrate and cuase blisters -
Old 11-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Registered

I do agree that a rough surface may be faster due to micro air bubbles, but show me an Outer Limits hull that comes with a sand blasted bottom! I guess that the effieiency of the stepped hull makes the surface irrelevent.

Should I spray gel coat or is that something that a pro should do?
I just cant believe that there is not a product made for hulls that will be in the water for extended periods.!!!! I am at 5% slip, mabye I should leave it ugly!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered

If you are doing it to improve the look, go for it. If you are removing bottom paint that stuff is supposed to be pretty hard on the old body do some research prior to sanding (respirator mask etcetera). As far as speed I would be impressed if you noticed a difference.

Jim
Old 11-30-2006, 12:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of paint made for boat bottoms that works fine - Epoxy work very well underwater but chauks when exposed to sunlight - if you keep your boat indoors then paint it with any color gloss epoxy you want and your worries are gone - If the hull is stored outdoors even reflected UV will cause the paint to chaulk very rapidly - There are very few commercial applications where both beauty and immersion are required, that is why industry has not perfected such a material. One or two week in the water will not hurt a properly cured aeromatic / or aliphatic acrylic polyurethane and if you can find a polyester polyurethane you can expect slightly better performance of about a month contuious immersion. ------Check with the guys that sell boat paints like Awgrip
Old 08-31-2016, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 457 Likes on 243 Posts
Default pizza cutter

http://www.uscomposites.com/cutters.html (at bottom of page)

so i thought if any thing the pizza cutter would be good for a few laughs on here right. nope, the thing is awesome.

hooked the tape on it and get straight and clean cuts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]558912[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558913[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pizza cutter-sany0016.jpg   pizza cutter-sany0017.jpg  
Old 08-31-2016, 11:30 PM
Registered

That's sweet. Cutting fiberglass with scissors sucks! Is that 1708 that you cut with it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.