Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Transom replacement on Checkmate 281 >

Transom replacement on Checkmate 281

Notices

Transom replacement on Checkmate 281

Old 01-12-2017, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds perfect, thicken until it is like peanut butter then load it on..
Old 01-15-2017, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Saturday the other stringer came out. Sunday the new stringer was cut and fit to the boat.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563820[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563821[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement on Checkmate 281-img_5986.jpg   Transom replacement on Checkmate 281-img_5985.jpg  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Registered

I ended up putting the floor back in the front of the boat. Just kinda glassed it in their with some scraps to hold it in. I was tired of standing on my toes when working. Bedded the stringer Monday and cleaned everything up today. Ready to go...

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]563889[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement on Checkmate 281-img_5988.jpg  
Old 01-18-2017, 12:54 PM
Registered

Ok so I am getting closer to putting the floor in. Is their a way to attach the floor without screwing it to the stringers? If I do have to screw into the stringers do you drill an over sized hole and fill it with thickened resin then screw into it? I really hate the idea of putting screws in these things! Also what density foam is best to use? And hopefully Glass Dave will see this.... Do you sell foam?
Old 01-19-2017, 02:21 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I get foam from fibergalst or us comp but don't stock it. Somewhere in the four to six pound density is what you need.

Usually bed floors with core bond or West Systems 404 let it set then pull screws and glass over the holes.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought on the screws, and I know Dave's idea is the best. But when I did a floor in my old boat I used stainless screws I was able to buy at home depot. They weren't that expensive and they had the nice cutting tip. I believe they were stainless deck screws. The I just left themy in there and fiberglassed over them when glossing the floor. I also did the west 404 between able ll he contact surfaces and had covered the back of the floor with glass before putting it down.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
I get foam from fibergalst or us comp but don't stock it. Somewhere in the four to six pound density is what you need.

Usually bed floors with core bond or West Systems 404 let it set then pull screws and glass over the holes.
Thanks Dave!... do you ship corebond, or where can i get some. My luck with mixing my own makes me leary at this point, and I want the floor to stay glued down! That and I'm lazy, mixing that stuff is a pain.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:39 PM
Registered

Second stinger is in!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]563967[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Transom replacement on Checkmate 281-img_5991.jpg  
Old 01-20-2017, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good! What I did was take about two gallons of resin, and mix in the filler with a drill/paddle to the consistency you want, and just leave it in a pail covered. When you need some filler, just scoop out what you need and add the mekp. As long as you keep it in a sealed pail you'll have it when you need it and only have to mix it the one time.

As far as securing the floor to the stringers, I wasn't thrilled about it either but I ended up just screwing it into ribs I added. Spread bedding resin on the stringer/hullside, lay the floor down and screw it down into the stringer to hold it while it cures. Put some weight on the floor where you can't screw it down to keep it in place. Then put a layer of glass over the floor/screw-heads.

Sorry I didn't make it over, work interfered but you are doing a great job, you've got it figured out.
Old 01-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by justintocars
Thanks Dave!... do you ship corebond, or where can i get some. My luck with mixing my own makes me leary at this point, and I want the floor to stay glued down! That and I'm lazy, mixing that stuff is a pain.
I have a couple drums of fresh ve core bond coming in next week, I've never shipped it because of haz mat. Look good!
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.