1990 272 SR1 large area gel coat respray/ color match >

1990 272 SR1 large area gel coat respray/ color match

Notices

1990 272 SR1 large area gel coat respray/ color match

Old 01-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1990 272 SR1 large area gel coat respray/ color match

I'm respraying the entire transom and a 2X3 area up one side of my formula due to minor dock rash and somone painting the lower transom with bonb cans at one point. I did a bunch of reading on here and went ahead and ordered the 904-001 duratec clear, white gel and tinting pigments from US composites. The Issue I'm running into is that the duratec is not 100% transparent. It added a noticable rose colored tint when added only to the pure white gel. This makes the tinting process almost impossible. Ive tried browns and grays. Minuet amounts to just start to change the color but the gel has that underling rose/ brown color that just looks way off. I just sprayed about a pint onto the lower chines and over a few thin areas to spot test it and its noticably off. Going to let it cure tonight and see how it looks wet sanded.
My questions are:
Anybody ever experience this? Will it lighten up as it cures?
Any experiences using factory ordered (Formula) gel coat on a 26 yr old boat and having it match well?
Any tinting suggestions on older Formulas?
Am I better off to use waxed gel, ditch the duratec and tint that to try and match?
Lastly, I sprayed the duratec and gel 50/50 with a cheap astro pneumatics 1.7 MM tip HVLP gun at 40 psi inlet press, and got heavy orange peel. never sprayed gel before, whats a good tip size and starting pressure for pure gel and the 50/50 mix.
Thanks in advance, Steve D.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:25 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

I've never had any color issues but usually use it for complete resprays. For tip size I just use cheap Harbor Freight guns and drill the tip out as big as you can without knockin the protruding part off. For tough colors or critical blends I use raw un waxed get and PVA cured.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 01-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Dave!