Buffing out little scratches >

Buffing out little scratches

Notices

Buffing out little scratches

Old 04-30-2017, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Buffing out little scratches

I've been working on the finish on the sides of my Formula.
I removed the stripes so I could compound it. When I got a side destriped I noticed there was a brown tinge up to the spot where the stripes had been.
Compound didn't remove it, 1000 grit didn't do it, 600 didn't do it. Finally got close with 400. I just don't dare go coarser. So I worked the 400 wet, then I went back with 600, 800, 1000, Presta Heavy Cut, then Presta Gel Compound, then Megiuars polish and then Meguiars Carnauba finish wax.

The done side is nice and red now.

But, I still have very minor scratches in my bright claret red finish....Arrgh.

I have a Harbor Freight orbital water sander, but I'm afraid to use it because the shapes of some of my scratches are straight off the sander's pattern. I used it with some crappy no name 600. Because of that I did my wet sanding by hand with 3M paper wrapped around a rubber squeegee. Guess I can buy some high quality 400 600 800 for the sander. I already have some 3M 1000 and 1500 for it.

Is 400 probably coarse enough? I already did a test patch with 600 and it reduced but didn't completely remove the marks. They are minor, but they are visible if I look hard with a light.

My boat is an 87. What grits are used with very seasoned old gel coat. Can I go from 400 wet to 800 to 1000 or 1500? Or should I do 600 along the way too.

Guess I will take another swipe at it with 400 to see if I can level it out. What's below that, 320?

I have a buffing wheel that I've been using with knotted wool pads for the compounds, and I have an electric dual action polisher for the finish work.

Any suggestions to accomplish this with the most efficient process are appreciated.

My arms and chest are frickin tired.

Last edited by NHGuy; 04-30-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First buy Fountain Of Youth products, they are much easier to use the Presto and Meguires. Then I think I would live with the scratches if another round of compound and polish won't get them out. Idk how thick your gel coat is and you have already taken off a good bit of it. You may end up burning through it. Then your S.O.L. Just my .02

Last edited by DBleil89; 05-02-2017 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Poor typing on phone
Old 05-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup, the imperfections are not visible without a light. Since I inflicted the marks I would fix it if I could.
Still it looks way better. But not quite a "proud of it" shine.
These things take either time and effort, or money. Or all three.

Last edited by NHGuy; 05-02-2017 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thread a few below this on buffing and polishing gel boat is where Glassdave posted the FOY products and where to buy it. I was really happy with the totally buff compound. I would buy a quart of that and make the last try to get rid of them only one step to get to the polish. Then just seal it with awesome and/ or vitreo
Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it alone, The pros burn through. Turn the light off.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If your random orbital is a 3/16" orbit, don't use it for color sanding. You need a 3/32" orbit for color sanding.
A 3/16" is for body work.