What type of glass for new floor

Old 05-10-2017, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

2 gallons of acetone and 2, 24 pack terry towels
Old 05-10-2017, 05:50 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

its afloor, provided you dont do it when its 100 degrees out, dont sweat the time. When you start rushing is when you make stupid mistakes, knock the resin bucket over etc.... You do want a fan flowing over the area, resin fumes will fill the floor and you will be pretty buzzed, even more reason to not rush. TRipple glove to start, that way you can peel a layer off. Pay attention to what your doing with the roller and you can push it in and balance it pretty good with the roller alone. Cut the glass to size first and have a plan. If the surface is important use some peel ply....
Old 05-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for info.Much appreciated. I hated losing the great looking floor and the tank was actually in very good shape with no problems. I just don't trust the gas companies with all the stuff they keep adding. I am going have a lot of money in the engine and don't want to screw it up. Right now getting every thing cut and ready to go.Picked up the tank last Friday. Can't wait to go for first ride.Hoping for July. Thanks again, Oh one more thing. Phragle, what is peel ply?
Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

peel ply is a material, kind of like old wind breaker nylon, as you balance out the last layer glass, you roll the peel ply over it, once the glass sets up, you peel it off by pulling on it and it leaves a nice uniform finish...
Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not need all of the above to do a 7x7 panel. All you need is a blended resin not vinylester resin, Vinyl ester resins require 925H mekp. It drys tacky will and eat up sandpaper scuffing it, 2 4 inch throw away brushes and 2 5 quart mixing buckets. Acetone, The 1708 comes 50 inches wide so buy what you need. if you're putting two layers butt them don't over lap them. The second layer will be the over lap. Do not use balsa. It serves you no purpose. Hot coat the plywood first. If its 80 degrees or less mix 15cc to quart, at 85 12cc, 90 10cc. You'll have plenty of time. after hot coating lay the glass on the part, roll it half way back. wet out the half the part and roll the glass out over the wet resin. Wet it out and use the 4 inch brush as a sqee gee to remove the excess resin, roll the other half back and do the same thing. To tab it, cut the tab length. Wet it out on card board and roll it up. Roll it out in place, use 4 inch brush to get rid of the air and excess resin. I build very large parts all the time. This is how I would do it. PS mix a quart at a time and get it all out of the bucket. You'll have plenty of time, but move quickly. Plan well.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimofstuartfl
You do not need all of the above to do a 7x7 panel. All you need is a blended resin not vinylester resin, Vinyl ester resins require 925H mekp. It drys tacky will and eat up sandpaper scuffing it, 2 4 inch throw away brushes and 2 5 quart mixing buckets. Acetone, The 1708 comes 50 inches wide so buy what you need. if you're putting two layers butt them don't over lap them. The second layer will be the over lap. Do not use balsa. It serves you no purpose. Hot coat the plywood first. If its 80 degrees or less mix 15cc to quart, at 85 12cc, 90 10cc. You'll have plenty of time. after hot coating lay the glass on the part, roll it half way back. wet out the half the part and roll the glass out over the wet resin. Wet it out and use the 4 inch brush as a sqee gee to remove the excess resin, roll the other half back and do the same thing. To tab it, cut the tab length. Wet it out on card board and roll it up. Roll it out in place, use 4 inch brush to get rid of the air and excess resin. I build very large parts all the time. This is how I would do it. PS mix a quart at a time and get it all out of the bucket. You'll have plenty of time, but move quickly. Plan well.
Been awhile Had to leave project for a while but back on it now. Tank is in and foamed. 3/4" marine plywood sealed on bottom and installed in boat. When you say hot coat floor first do you mean like what I did go the bottom side coat it with a hot mix and let it soak into wood ? I am using non waxed resin. Then proceed to coat and lay down cloth like you said? Also do I tab first or glass the whole floor first then tab it in. Doing this job outside under a canopy so it's a good weather project only. On bad weather days I work on engine build. Hoping to get a trial run befor end of season. Thank again for any info.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

to the top
anyway you can get an overall pic of the floor ?
maybe that would help you get some feed back as far as a plan of attack.