Like Tree5Likes

brushable gelcoat

Old 08-31-2017, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (3)

"How do you bring it back up to a bright shine after sanding?"
wet sand up to 1000 and buff w/ fountain of youth vibra cut and wool pad (or buff compound you like)

"How difficult was this and how long did it take you to roll on each coat?"
not difficult, but i can see where results would be better w/ practice.
pot life is 15 -20 minutes so you have to be done inside of that time. tech says put in fridge to cool down and increase pot life.
i only have 1 coat on as of today, as mentioned i should have gone thicker and full recommended activator,
i had to leave in sun for a day and wipe down w/ water to remove the tack.

"do you have to let each coat flash like you do with coats of paint before rolling on the next coat?"
each coat has to dry 1 1/2 - 2 hours then sanded to remove the agent that helps self leveling and air cure.

"Looks like this would be easier on the large deck than finding a way to get high enough to paint without touching the surface."
you would be better off asking glass dave (screen name) on this, in fact i don't think dave has or needs to use the brushable gel but i would wager a kings ransom
he would have a bazillion x's better results on his worst day than i did on my first shot at it.

i like gel finish and i like to do things myself, if i screw it up and have to start over i'll own it, admit it, and not be ashamed, no big deal,
but i wont have do that on this part of the job
more planning and a test on some random hunk of glassed plywood would have prevented the extra time and work i caused for my self on the first attempt. i worked on other parts of the project over the week and plan is to work on all gel areas over the weekend.

edit in, hopefully an update to the follow up coat(s) early next week, but i need a new camera
Barnacle Bill and class6 like this.

Last edited by outonsafari; 08-31-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:10 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by outonsafari View Post
"How do you bring it back up to a bright shine after sanding?"
wet sand up to 1000 and buff w/ fountain of youth vibra cut and wool pad (or buff compound you like)

"How difficult was this and how long did it take you to roll on each coat?"
not difficult, but i can see where results would be better w/ practice.
pot life is 15 -20 minutes so you have to be done inside of that time. tech says put in fridge to cool down and increase pot life.
i only have 1 coat on as of today, as mentioned i should have gone thicker and full recommended activator,
i had to leave in sun for a day and wipe down w/ water to remove the tack.

"do you have to let each coat flash like you do with coats of paint before rolling on the next coat?"
each coat has to dry 1 1/2 - 2 hours then sanded to remove the agent that helps self leveling and air cure.

"Looks like this would be easier on the large deck than finding a way to get high enough to paint without touching the surface."
you would be better off asking glass dave (screen name) on this, in fact i don't think dave has or needs to use the brushable gel but i would wager a kings ransom
he would have a bazillion x's better results on his worst day than i did on my first shot at it.

i like gel finish and i like to do things myself, if i screw it up and have to start over i'll own it, admit it, and not be ashamed, no big deal,
but i wont have do that on this part of the job
more planning and a test on some random hunk of glassed plywood would have prevented the extra time and work i caused for my self on the first attempt. i worked on other parts of the project over the week and plan is to work on all gel areas over the weekend.

edit in, hopefully an update to the follow up coat(s) early next week, but i need a new camera
Thank you. I'm painting the hull and stern of mine, but I think Gelcoat will be better for the deck. I might even scrap the paint idea and go with gelcoat on the hull if i don't like it. Should I finally win the lottery like I was supposed to last week, GlassDave will get to deal with it