brushable gelcoat >

brushable gelcoat

Notices

brushable gelcoat

Old 06-13-2017, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts
Default brushable gelcoat

in the q & a section there's a gas tank foam thread going on and a member mentioned a company fgci, so i went over there and found brushable gelcoat.
well i'm fairing w/ glass bubbles and ve resin so gel is coming up soon.
glass dave, or any body have any advice on this product, aprreciate any and all inputs and advice,
thanks.

https://blog-fgci.com/2017/03/09/5-t...hable-gelcoat/
Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also thinking about trying this on a 22 Velocity project. Hoping someone here have used it?
Old 08-26-2017, 09:28 AM
Registered

Default update

sent sample to fgci, they held on to it until i was ready.
ordered monday, received wednesday
customer service is good.
color is labeled last name, color,and mix code. ie "smith white, fciwg-123-x.

no test, had 3 different rollers set up just in case the all purpose 3/8 nap 4inch went sideways.
also cheap 97 cent 1" chip brush worked fine
after using it and seeing how it rolls / flows, i think 1/4 inch nap will yield better results.

just mixed 8 ounces at 1 1/2 percent (maybe a touch hotter) which is minimum recommended,
followed a recommended 60 second mix time,
pot life 15- 20 minutes in cool temps
dump and roll, goes on like thick paint, no problems on vertical surfaces.
self leveling agent is evident, but sanding will be required, (also allows air cure).
i did the entire interior surface of dash and fairing w/ first mix, maybe i went a little thin but was being careful and had to move fast.
coverage is good, after sanding to smooth and remove the surface agent i'm saying 3 coats will finish job
so maybe not for anyone who can mix, match and is set up to shoot gel, but for the backyard non pro like me it's good stuff.
this stuff can be shot tho, so it could be helpful depending on the job.
Attached Thumbnails brushable gelcoat-sany0391.jpg   brushable gelcoat-sany0392.jpg   brushable gelcoat-sany0393.jpg  

brushable gelcoat-sany0394.jpg  
Old 08-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like it came out great for roll on. Nice to see us shadetree guys have another option other than spraying with Preval
Old 08-26-2017, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice results. I have a bunch of spots all over my barely off-white Crownline. I need to look into this...
Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice!!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for posting, I'm going to be trying some soon.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Registered

thanks guys,
the pics are about 15 minutes into the first coat and is still see thru in some spots (over new glass)
a few things i learned today,

1. it dried in 1 1/2 hours but first coat went on too thin ( i was afraid of runs sags and it dripping on the all the work below it) its dry and hard but has a tack

2. fgci recommends it be 14 mils or credit card thickness so it builds heat and cures faster.

3. tech said a water wipe down will remove the tack similar to wiping blush off epoxy,
i did and it made quite a difference. sunlight will cure it as well but we're cloudy all week.
i'll take the clouds and sporadic rain everyday over what those people got in texas.

4. the color match is awesome

i think the product is good, but my mistakes earned me a little more planning and work
even tho 1st coat was too thin the bonus was i could see the 9 spots that are about a square inch or so i missed and can be fixed,
and the 2nd coat will be thick enough to cover the 3m premium.

here's the dash from the start
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/r...ss-advice.html
Old 08-29-2017, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If they have that in clear , I'm going to try it out.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

How do you bring it back up to a bright shine after sanding? I just did paint on my Excaliber 38, but want to do Gelcoat on the top half of the boat. Looks like this would be easier on the large deck than finding a way to get high enough to paint without touching the surface. How difficult was this and how long did it take you to roll on each coat? Also, do you have to let each coat flash like you do with coats of paint before rolling on the next coat?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.