Kevlar Help & Tips Please >

Kevlar Help & Tips Please

Notices

Kevlar Help & Tips Please

Old 12-25-2017, 09:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kevlar Help & Tips Please

Will be starting or Halter HSB project soon here and I am looking for any kinda of heads up tips and such for repairing holes in Kevlar. I understand I cannot grind on it and glassing over it seems to be protocol just looking for any help you folks have to offer here.

Thanks,
Pyro
Old 12-26-2017, 06:03 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

pictures are worth 10 thousand words so take a lot of pictures, establishing shots and detail shots,
i.e. (truxtons picture of the side of his boat w/ damage, then a picture of the damage itself).

patching the hole in pic 3 is anyone's guess because there is no establishing shot it could be in the side or in bottom.
sorry truxton using your thread as an example since both you guys have the same project going on.

describe the issue, hole from a gauge, or hole from a forklift / crack / etc. if it's cored ? and if so with what.
don't know why you can't grind kevlar ? you have to grind in order to clean up the damage and the area around it so it can be repaired.

get a membership so the pics you take can be posted and your questions answered and explained.
where are you / the boat located, knowing that could save you money when it comes to materials shipping and what composite
company to deal with.

read, then read some more, it's easy to search the fiberglass area for what you need to know as it's all been done 100 times before,
and it never hurts to ask for help or clarification

Last edited by outonsafari; 12-26-2017 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey thanks outonsafari!! I will be taking many pics of multiple angles and distances for good reference. I am very familiar with working with 'glass and woodworking and metal fab as well....it's the Kevlar that has me digging for info. I have worked on boats as a marine technician for about 10yrs in FL doing everything from hull repair, rigging, engine and electrical troubleshooting and repair. I am now in WY and hoping to get this boat delivered soon. I still have contacts down there in the industry so I am feeling quite good about the project overalI. We were supposed to get to the boat today for pics and measurements but won't be able to until tomorrow unfortunately.

Thanks again,
Pyro Chuck