Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fiberglass and Paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint-167/)
-   -   Removing Saltwater Rust from Cast Iron to Epoxy Prime? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fiberglass-paint/353387-removing-saltwater-rust-cast-iron-epoxy-prime.html)

dunnitagain 04-15-2018 09:53 AM

Removing Saltwater Rust from Cast Iron to Epoxy Prime?

I have 2 Velvet drives that were Saltwater used ,I had them sandblasted . The rust came back with in a day! I want to Epoxy Prime and Paint , but
dont want the primer lifting in a years time , I would use a self etch or rust converter , but the primer ( Southern Poly ) says not too use over either. .
Directions say that it will handle some flash rust , but this is some agressive rust . I think the tranys were submergered. Any suggestions?

jeff32 04-15-2018 10:57 AM

curious to read the answer! I'm surprised to read rust comes back within a day after sandblast! Geeez I never thought salt was that much aggressive and corrosive!

sailtexas186548 04-15-2018 11:54 AM

cast iron is often porus, and sand blasting does not remove the contaminates except on the surface. Washing the housings (soak if you can) with soap/water or Beter yet acetone/alcohol and baking in a oven to evaporate whatever is in the iron will help a bunch. Sometimes it takes several rounds of cleaning, and other times it never really cleans up if it it's really bad.

dunnitagain 04-15-2018 01:20 PM

I was shocked as hell when the rust came back !
Im going to try Evapo Rust , Ive used it before but not on cast and not under paint ,

modvp 04-15-2018 05:40 PM

I've always used a rust remover with phosphoric acid (Evaporust maybe a brand name product with phosphoric acid). It's a great rust remover before paint application, the rust removal process results in the formation of iron phosphate which is more stable than iron oxide (rust).

turbo2256b 04-15-2018 05:49 PM

after removing rust dry it and coat it with diamond clear by KBS . about ready to use some evaporust to clean out the water passages in a couple set of heads. dont think it works well on aluminum it can be brush, rollered, sprayed. it can be used as a sealer under coat and a very glossy over coat. have used it for both sticks better than glue handles tems in the 450 range.
KBS : STOP RUST : PREVENT RUST : RUSTY METAL PAINT :: PAINT RUST

MartijnAir 05-21-2018 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by dunnitagain (Post 4621683)
I was shocked as hell when the rust came back !
Im going to try Evapo Rust , Ive used it before but not on cast and not under paint ,

Did this work for you? Looking for same kind of solution.

dunnitagain 05-28-2018 04:57 PM

The evaporust works very good , it has been unpainted since I started this thread and it still has not returned.