Notices

Porous Gelcoat

Old 07-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Porous Gelcoat

Hello All,

I currently own a 28 ft Pantera and boat in the Chesapeake Bay by Baltimore Maryland. It was built in 2000 and the gel coat still shines. My issue is that the bottom of my boat turns dark brown if it stays in the water over a weekend (picture below). To remove the brown, I am forced to use starbrit hull cleaner. I would like to be able to boat for a weekend and remove the brown with a simple wash. My question is, what are my options to achieve this goal? If this did not make sense, please let me know and I will try to explain further.

Old 07-17-2018, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey I also boat in the Baltimore area. Patapsco, Middle river mostly. My 97 Sonic looks like your too. This is an easy cleaning solution to use in a garden sprayer. Buy some “Works” toilet bowl cleaner in the green bottle, only $1 each. Put in garden sprayer with a squirt of Dawn dishwashing liquid and spray on stains. Hull will be white again instantly. Hose off with hard spray from water hose. I wet my trailer down well before to prevent any reactions from the cleaner. The dishwashing soap is in there to help the solution stick to the hull and reduce dripping on the trailer. The “Works” is a mild acid so caution should be used. Try it.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my boy used that crap on his ski boat . year later the gel coat is more pouras than ever . he swears that stuff made the problem ten times is bad ,, I told him to try that secret from pervious threads here . I wont use it on my hull . for that reason 2005 ski centurian ..
Old 07-18-2018, 08:13 AM
ben
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Ceramic coating, or wax it every other time you go out. Getting it ceramic coated saves a lot of time waxing.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Use Bar Keepers Friend - it won't hurt the gel and spray it on - lightly rub with sponge and hose it off
Old 07-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

There is really not anything simple that you can do. Wet sand, buff and wax the bottom will help. The other option, if the boat is only left in the water for a few days at a time is to have the bottom painted.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ben
Ceramic coating, or wax it every other time you go out. Getting it ceramic coated saves a lot of time waxing.
I wanted to try that but it was only guaranteed for one year below the waterline. Pretty expensive yearly treatment. How long has yours lasted?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 106 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ROB FREEMAN
my boy used that crap on his ski boat . year later the gel coat is more pouras than ever . he swears that stuff made the problem ten times is bad ,, I told him to try that secret from pervious threads here . I wont use it on my hull . for that reason 2005 ski centurian ..
Interesting, I will keep an eye out for this as I have only used my Works blend a couple of times. Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Registered

As griff said. Wet sand and buff it out. Little work but not that bad. Or just shoot the bottom of the boat. Since not in water all the time.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 AM
ben
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NightHawk
I wanted to try that but it was only guaranteed for one year below the waterline. Pretty expensive yearly treatment. How long has yours lasted?
I just had mine done early spring so no long term results yet.