Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
While we're on this paint removal thing..... >

While we're on this paint removal thing.....

Notices

While we're on this paint removal thing.....

Old 09-17-2018, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts
Default While we're on this paint removal thing.....

Interesting stuff! Here's my dilemma: I have a older Scarab that had the Miami Vice era 'laser' fade (yellow/orange/deep red)down the side of the boat. I was told that was done in Imron. It's near perfect. The boat had 'lettering enamel' used to paint a name (big) down each side. I am in the long process of building it back into a retro-rod, so I was hoping to save the laser stripe finish to incorporate the fade as a graphic into a modern paint scheme, as kind of a nod to it's heritage, but I need to remove the lettering and not damage the underlying paint to do it.

Any suggestions on what might work to get the top enamel off without bubbling or killing the under-layer of Imron? The Fade is flawly done, I hate to just paint over it all!

Thanks
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Chances are, even if you can get the enamel lettering off without hurting the Imron under it, you will still have a visible ghost of the lettering.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

What Griff said .
I've only seen the easy off trick done on lettering paint that was on gelcoat , not a painted surface. Two part paints are extremely durable and most can even resist lacquer thinners and acetone once fully cured . I'm sure that finding a test spot won't be easy.

Edit to add : Send a message to brett fiddes who posted a day or two back how well it worked for him . If his boat was painted , not gel , that would be a useful pointer.

Last edited by madbouyz; 09-18-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used less than a can of easy off the paint came off the easiest
I had to go over 2 times, then used acetone to clean up, then gave it a light clean up with 1200 wet/dry sand paper with plenty of water
the hull needs polishing latter so my focus was on getting the paint off, and I'll come back to it latter for final polish
The boat was Gel Coat