Notices

Damaged Keel

Old 07-30-2019, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That looks like it ran over a railroad track! Damn !
Thats several layers deep , gonna be a big repair .
Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Thats a few layers of glass, that did NOT happen by a one time scrape loading it on a trailer,. you want it fixed right, not fixed by the lowest bid.
It is rather unfortunate. This will set me back some time. Besides the money...I was very hopeful to get all the other cosmetic as well as whatever I run into on the transom or stringers this fall.

Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 228 Likes on 77 Posts

8-10k is a fair number on that repair. Sucks for the seller if he’s paying the bill! Good karma goes a long way. Where are you based out of ?
Old 07-31-2019, 04:35 AM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe it fell off the trailer, damn.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Alwhite00
Maybe it fell off the trailer, damn.
That is also a plausible theory. It wasnt like this 5 days before I got it. I could get my money back I am sure, but I actually want the boat so I am proceeding with the repairs and if I can get any money from the seller then ok so be it.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 280 Likes on 169 Posts

To me it looks like it was run aground. I agree the damage is too substantial to be caused by a shallow trailer recovery. The keel would only hit momentarily until it got on the bunk and would not run that long or atleast that's my experience after buying a bayboat with minor keel damage caused by a shallow launch. Raise the bunks and add some plastic keel guards to the beams for good measure. I would return the boat and get my money back.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

It looks to me like someone hit some gravel at a decent speed. How does the bottom of the drive look?
Old 07-31-2019, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

I quite agree with the feedback so far , but on a side note .. Refer to pic #1 .. NEVER prop a boat up like that on 4 jack stands. Maybe if it was a small Boston Whaler but never a single skin fiberglass (or wooden) hull . The weight should always be on the keel .
Old 07-31-2019, 02:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
I quite agree with the feedback so far , but on a side note .. Refer to pic #1 .. NEVER prop a boat up like that on 4 jack stands. Maybe if it was a small Boston Whaler but never a single skin fiberglass (or wooden) hull . The weight should always be on the keel .
Thank you! This is a great suggestion, I will speak with the glass guy and request that. I am absolutely going to be raising the bunks and get the boat sitting correctly on that trailer. I will post pics as I get some from glass guy or when I go get the trailer. He was going to start working on it immediately because I want to get the motors pulled before I start my busy season in September.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by madbouyz
I went back and looked at another pic I have, it has a keel stand under it, thats a total of 3 stands (one keel, 2 on sides) and two wood cribbing. Is that sufficient you think?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.