Notices

Damaged Keel

Old 07-31-2019, 04:19 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

yikes, yeah thats a pretty good ding'er there . . . .

The number is fair, it is a pretty good size area that will have to be scarfed back to catch all that. Just make sure your repair facility has plenty of references and is capable of handling structural damage. They should be doing this in Epoxy or VE at the very least. Would also be nice to access it from the inside even if it means opening up some floor panels, personally i would rather have live with some floor repairs or snap in carpet for the peace of mind knowing it have some tie-in lamination on the inside.

Honestly it does look like an extreme hard trailer drag to me and I've seen more then a few . . . . hell i even did one almost that bad myself on a windy fall day lol . . . i was not happy but hey i kniw a guy that could fix it
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 07-31-2019, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Love the HST pik....Be carefull if you work on it yourself, those VE resin fumes can make you see bats...
Old 07-31-2019, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 770guy
I went back and looked at another pic I have, it has a keel stand under it, thats a total of 3 stands (one keel, 2 on sides) and two wood cribbing. Is that sufficient you think?
IMO for a boat that length it ought to have two points on the keel supporting the weight. The 4 jack stands should be only for stabilizing the boat so it's firm and stable to walk around on , etc. Also , ( yeah , I'm proudly anal) the jack stands only need to be lightly snug against the bottom , not cranked up to 10,000 foot pounds where they almost start to lift the boat up!
I've already had to straighten out one bottom where it was improperly jacked up for a long time and the only thing that made the job remotely tolerable was that the boat was upside down.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
yikes, yeah thats a pretty good ding'er there . . . .

The number is fair, it is a pretty good size area that will have to be scarfed back to catch all that. Just make sure your repair facility has plenty of references and is capable of handling structural damage. They should be doing this in Epoxy or VE at the very least. Would also be nice to access it from the inside even if it means opening up some floor panels, personally i would rather have live with some floor repairs or snap in carpet for the peace of mind knowing it have some tie-in lamination on the inside.

Honestly it does look like an extreme hard trailer drag to me and I've seen more then a few . . . . hell i even did one almost that bad myself on a windy fall day lol . . . i was not happy but hey i kniw a guy that could fix it
Dave,

Thank you for the input! I am fairly certain this thing hit the trailer....there is gray galvanized paint marks on the areas that didnt break and the first cross member on the trailer has white marks on it.

As far as the repair goes, the place had good reviews and structural experience. They said they were going to repair it from the inside out and "cross stitch". Its a set back but it has not killed my enthusiasm (yet).
Old 08-01-2019, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 770guy
Dave,

Thank you for the input! I am fairly certain this thing hit the trailer....there is gray galvanized paint marks on the areas that didnt break and the first cross member on the trailer has white marks on it.

As far as the repair goes, the place had good reviews and structural experience. They said they were going to repair it from the inside out and "cross stitch". Its a set back but it has not killed my enthusiasm (yet).
I went by and took a look at the boat this morning and the trailer now that the boat is off. I snapped a few pics. Couple more posts and I can put them up. I have been a lurker for too many years.
Old 08-01-2019, 04:14 PM
Registered

Here is the trailer. Taking it back to my shop to raise the bunks and once the boat is fixed I may adjust side to side depending on how they fall on the hull.. Yikes. I cant believe the guy didnt care enough to stop driving it on the trailer. I always at least pull the trailer in enough to wet the bunks also.....

Last edited by 770guy; 08-01-2019 at 04:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:15 PM
Registered

Here is a full pic of the boat. It has lived a rough life, needs some TLC, but ive seen much worse.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Gorgeous boat worthy of some love!

Id add some rear bunks as well to support the engine and transom.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Gorgeous boat worthy of some love!

Id add some rear bunks as well to support the engine and transom.

That is a good idea and I am going to do it. I was looking at a person with the same boat and the factory trailer and it had bunks at every chine. I went ahead and raised the existing bunks 3.5". I made these stainless brackets.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would have put one bolt in the top hole and one in the bottom. I don't think one bolt is enough.
Nice brackets.
That nd you definitely need bunks under the stringers that the engines are bolted to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.