Another stringer repair question >

Another stringer repair question

Notices

Another stringer repair question

Old 08-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Another stringer repair question

Getting ready to do the repair for the two side stringers. About the last 12-18" have rotted out (been told this is common on Cafe's due to where they mount the trim tabs).
My dilemma is how best to repair:
1) cut tops off back to where rot stops plus some, dig out old wood, replace with new, resin/glass top
2) cut out the the rotted section plus some, & lay all new stringer
3) cut out the entire stringer length & replace with full length.

#3 sounds possibly overkill but i am not sure if #1 or 2 isn't recommended because its not a single solid piece of wood running from bulkhead to transom.

Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2019, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BDiggity
Getting ready to do the repair for the two side stringers. About the last 12-18" have rotted out (been told this is common on Cafe's due to where they mount the trim tabs).
My dilemma is how best to repair:
1) cut tops off back to where rot stops plus some, dig out old wood, replace with new, resin/glass top
2) cut out the the rotted section plus some, & lay all new stringer
3) cut out the entire stringer length & replace with full length.

#3 sounds possibly overkill but i am not sure if #1 or 2 isn't recommended because its not a single solid piece of wood running from bulkhead to transom.

Thoughts?
I am possibly going to be in the same situation. I am curious as to what answer you get. I have a 33 checkmate and not positive yet but I think I have a couple feet of rot under the engine area, hoping it doesnt continue further. I dont even know how you would replace the whole thing. cracking the boat in half at the joint seems like so much work.
Old 08-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I’m no expert but believe the method is to cut off the tops, dig out the rotten stuff, insert new material with resin, cap off the top. Enjoy!
Old 08-23-2019, 12:03 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 248 Likes on 124 Posts

From my experience....I have done stringers on a few boats and have always been told the method rooster posted with a few extra points....

I've been told to not do a straight vertical edge in a stringer and to cut each one into a wedge and glass them together so there's not a vertical weak point....like this...=====//===== if that makes sense lol

You also want to rough up the inside of the existing glass after removing the wood and I have always encased the new wood with a layer of glass around it and resined everything very well before putting the new wood in so it all bonds to the existing boat then matte and resin to cap it sand smooth gel or paint and enjoy

Right or wrong that's how I've done it and never had one rot out again so I guess it's ok?? hahaha

If glassdave sees this I'm sure he can offer input on products to embed the wood with and resin and whatnot...good luck!!
Old 08-23-2019, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Great info, thanks guys!

Yes we planned to cut at the angle in order to give more surface area & prep the inside of stringer shell.