Boat explosion and hull integrity >

Boat explosion and hull integrity

Notices

Boat explosion and hull integrity

Old 11-07-2019, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Boat explosion and hull integrity

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so correct me if I violate any etiquette restrictions. I have a 32' Monterey that has recently had an explosion in the engine compartment. The boat has twin 5.0 mercs and recent inspection since the explosion points to a cracked fuel filler hose as being the likely culprit (although, admittedly, those could have been caused by the explosion itself) Knowing that an explosion runs about 3000 degrees Fahrenheit with extreme concussive force I am worried about the structural integrity of the fiberglass (I understand that above 140, 175, and 200 degrees Fahrenheit, depending on the resin, the resins that hold fiberglass together begin to rapidly decompose, leaving weak spots and bubbles in the laminate. My fear is that the "after" effects of this decomposition still looks fine, but will fail catastrophically under a sudden load. The explosion was enough to blow the port side compartment hatch 7 feet, ripping our the retaining screws that secured the hatch to the deck. The velocity of the air in an explosion of this sort has a concussive factor that reaches supersonic velocity with the compartment air moving up to 3 miles a second, further adding to my concerns of structural integrity.
After that long winded explanation my question is, should this boat ever be put back on the water or am I putting family and friends at risk
Thanks
Pippo
Old 11-07-2019, 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope nobody was hurt.
I'm no expert and I can't answer your question. However, you've convinced me, I wouldn't want to own a boat that's been through an explosion. Confidence is in the mind and I doubt you'd ever be 100% happy with the family on that boat again. Put it bluntly, get the best deal you can negotiate with insurance then dump the boat. Unfortunately that means spending more money on a replacement but if you can manage it, you'll feel better in the long run. I'm sure someone will jump in with a better 'technical' answer.

Welcome to oso!

RR
Old 11-08-2019, 07:08 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Was this one of those rather unusual boat explosions where there was no fire , just a big bang that extinguished itself or did an auto fire system kick in and prevent a fire ?
Old 11-08-2019, 07:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Automatic fire suppression put out the fire fairly quickly but there was a fire in the compartment (plastic hoses, cables and wires mostly)
Old 11-08-2019, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

As rak rua said, you’ve scared me out of the idea.