scissors W-T-F  OVER !! >

scissors W-T-F OVER !!

Notices

scissors W-T-F OVER !!

Old 06-07-2020, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts
Default scissors W-T-F OVER !!

gonna be smart, i said, gonna get a pair of 40 effin dollar wiss scissors that are supposed to cut wet fiberglass.
they cut dry fiberglass 1708 if your asking, but only if there is about 6 inches of material on either side of the cut.
otherwise they just crinkle up the material pull strands out and hack out a jagged line.

wet 1708? ha you fool, cant be done, they crinkle and crimp and get all gooey.
Cant just snip off that extra inch or 2, cant snip that corner to make the flaps look all nice with even overlaps,
no effin way, just cant have nice stuff.

i didnt try leaving 6 inches of wetted out material on the other side tho, something about throwing away that much material as expensive as it is seems not right.

tried left hand right hand short cut long cut angle cut cut with the stich cut against the stich.
they flat out suck on wet glass period.

unless im doing something wrong, i mean there scissors and i didnt go to college and all.
Now i have to regrind to wrap up this part of the project

Last edited by outonsafari; 06-07-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Cant tell because you picture is too close but it almost looks like the cutting edge of the scissors is on the wrong side ? Or am I just looking at it wrong.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:27 PM
Registered

No, i appreciate that but they're assembled correctly, they're smooth and they make a nice sound.
Now that i have them in my hands they dont feel sharp, brand new, a dozen cuts, dont use them because of the hassle, needed them today and it was a fail. The glass went good but the scissors sucked.

Old 09-22-2020, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've learned that the cheep harbor freight scissors work the best, sure you go through them fairly quick but most of the time there free. The nice thing too, when they get all chitted up I just toss them.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Harbor freight shears or scissors, i dont know what they were called or what section they were in. They cut dry glass great, and the coupple times i used them to cut wet glass they worked too. I didnt cut much wet so your experience may verry.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

I have used sewing scissors with pretty good success.
Old 09-23-2020, 06:52 PM
Registered

in a last act of desperation i picked these up back in june, the small pair failed but the big pair cuts dry and wet 1708 very well. Scissors must be hit or miss, i just expected wiss to cut without sending them over to germany to a sharpener since noone does that anymore. The kobolts were 19 bucks for a 2 pack
Old 09-23-2020, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
I have used sewing scissors with pretty good success.
Does your wife know that's where they got to?
The following users liked this post:
madbouyz (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 10:43 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

i have three pair of shears in my shop and all are material specific in their use. In other words fiberglass shears cut ONLY fiberglass in my shop . . . not so much as a piece of paper. My Kevlars are only used on Kevlar and nothing else. The two pairs with the yellow handle are mid range Finnys (like fifty bucks or so) and they are over ten years old and cut about as good as they did the day i got them they also have a fine serrated edge and work better for wet material. To this day if i am wiping them down i have to take care because they WILL cut you if not careful The dark pair is a vintage pair of Henkels (not to be confused with Henckel shears) i bought them for five bucks at a flea market, had them professionally sharpened once probably twelve years ago and they have performed flawless ever since. I keep the action slightly on the loose side and rotate the handles with my grip as i cut with them to drive the cutting faces together to increase cutting force.

one word of warning if you get a pair of the yellow TecX Finnys. With the slight serrated edge they can have a tenancy to grab the binder threads on stitched fabrics (1708s, etc) and will pull them out. Its not a big deal but can make a bit of a stringy mess that you have to clip or pull out.

you can find Finnys on ebay regularly but i think the Tecs would work better for you just take strict care of them

08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
The following users liked this post:
outonsafari (09-24-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
Does your wife know that's where they got to?
hah! That’s where I got them from. The did dull up over some time. I should have had them re sharpened but picked up a ne pair at good ole joans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.