Small mold and part layup ?'s >

Small mold and part layup ?'s

Notices

Small mold and part layup ?'s

Old 09-30-2020, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Small mold and part layup ?'s

Made a plug and happy enough with it to try and pull a mold off it.
Used a wet towel to hold paper down to make a template for cutting glass
Have on hand all fresh
Black gel no wax
5 yd 1 1/2 mat
fresh ve resin, 2 gallons left over from wap up/ touch up on boat project, resin about 2 weeks old.
meguires maximum release wax
pva

approx 972 sq inches area, thats the problem, odd ounce mix odd mekp amount, so do i

1. mix a quart at a time which is too much and add mat to balance out the ratio and just go, mix mix mix and lay down mat till i'm out of resin.

or, do i need to wait between layers ?

hopefully the mold will come off the plug, if so i'll order resin and pick up core material.

layup plan is, 1layer 1708 mat against gel, 1 layer 1708 mat side up, core, 2 layers 1708 mat side down.

core, what should i use ? i'm under the impression both balsa and nida core don't need bedding compound but balsa sucks up alot of resin.
balsa seems like it will be better because of its machinability.
either material will be bought scored and cut into individual strips placed 1 at a time, throwing in a whole piece of either seems like getting a big air bubble is more likely.
i'm open to any core material that does't need bedding compound.

hate to waste material on failures don't know if there should be test panels made
only need to make 2 seats and appreciate any and all input.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:37 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

still have my number? . . . early mornings are best while im having coffee
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
The following users liked this post:
outonsafari (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 04:57 PM
Registered

Yes, have your number. Really appreciate the help.
will follow my Dads' rule of 9 & 9, not before, not after.

thanks dave i'll try you in the morning.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:26 PM
Registered

Big thanks to Glassdave.

Outstanding individual here, he took time from his busy schedule and shop full of work to help and advise me on the seat mold project.
He explained how he would lay up the mold, explained timeframes and filled me in on some specific things to be sure of while doing the layup.

Now, getting to laying up a part after the mold is pulled and postwork is completed; "provided i dont screw it up"

He talked about materials, orientation, threw in for good measure some tricks tips and hints, things like that, went in depth about coring material and the reasons for his choice on this type of part, what i could expect for resin usage and more.
Told me some methods and advised me on timeframes for the layup process. (I would have screwed that up big time)
So much more info about it than is possible to articulate when your a 1 finger typer like me.

ok, so coring material has been shipped and i'm gonna place another order for resin, extra material and tools tomorrow. I have a schedule to follow for both the mold and the part, next week it'll be here goes nothing !

again, big thanks dave, cannot tell you how much i appreciate you laying the wisdom on me.

Last edited by outonsafari; 10-07-2020 at 08:34 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by outonsafari:
Griff (10-08-2020), J-Bonz (10-07-2020), resurrected (10-08-2020), speicher lane (10-15-2020), underpsi68 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari View Post
Big thanks to Glassdave.

Outstanding individual here, he took time from his busy schedule and shop full of work to help and advise me on the seat mold project.
He explained how he would lay up the mold, explained timeframes and filled me in on some specific things to be sure of while doing the layup.

Now, getting to laying up a part after the mold is pulled and postwork is completed; "provided i dont screw it up"

He talked about materials, orientation, threw in for good measure some tricks tips and hints, things like that, went in depth about coring material and the reasons for his choice on this type of part, what i could expect for resin usage and more.
Told me some methods and advised me on timeframes for the layup process. (I would have screwed that up big time)
So much more info about it than is possible to articulate when your a 1 finger typer like me.

ok, so coring material has been shipped and i'm gonna place another order for resin, extra material and tools tomorrow. I have a schedule to follow for both the mold and the part, next week it'll be here goes nothing !

again, big thanks dave, cannot tell you how much i appreciate you laying the wisdom on me.
i am still waiting for his book he was supposed to do... years ago! is'nt it right Glassdave?
The following users liked this post:
Twin O/B Sonic (10-08-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 07:00 PM
Registered

Well ladies and gentleman we just made our initial turn to line up into orlando international airport, aaand tailwind has us arriving 15 minutes early.
weather on the ground is 82 degrees blue skies.

point of interest kids if you look out the right side of the aircraft you can see the magic kingdom, and out the left side about 50 miles south you can see a guy covered in black gelcoat attempting to save the collosal mess he calls a seat mold.

budget air has a rewards plan, if you sign up today you'll receve 5000 miles and cash back on purchases with the budget air visa card.
Flight attendants prepare the cabin for landing

6 coats of wax, 2 coats of pva

Then it went down hill

the cup gun worked for about a minute then it sounded funny and stopped spraying, when i looked at it the cup collapsed gelcoat poured out down my hand, all over everything.
there was a backup poured and an OH NO moment, wipe, swab, mix, use plastic cup and get down and dirty.
ended up with 1 1/2 qaurt of gel but it looked bad.

the yard, shed and driveway looks like a bomb went off but there is 5 layers of mat on it and they all laid down and bubble rolled real nice.

Think i understand why a flange was needed, its gonna be tough coming off (if it does)
The following 2 users liked this post by outonsafari:
resurrected (10-16-2020), Tiki Joe (10-16-2020)
Old 10-16-2020, 06:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 115 Likes on 75 Posts

Thank you for sharing your experience, and putting an entertaining introduction to it!
Old 10-17-2020, 10:58 AM
Registered

Big thanks to glass dave, followed his directions and It came off. Literally wouldnt have pulled a successful mold off this thing without following the notes i jotted down during our phone call.

thanks dave.

with the exception of 2 small areas that the mat didnt make it ( result of rocking it back and forth during layup to keep resin just pouring off) and 1 spot where i got a little over anxious popping it at first i'm pretty happy.

Trimmed and ground the waste first, ended up removing the plywood braces from the plug and flexed it, the mold popped right off.

the plug cracked at the intersection but it was nothing more than a huge glob of cabosil there.

plan is pull a non cored couple layer test piece before the real deal, i think i can add a partial flange to it at top and bottom to help pull the test and seats out.
The little white spots all over it is dust and lint, hosed off the pva and toweled it down
fyi the pva i shot it with is like 3 years old

Got a little impatient

That gap i think will get a soupy mix of cabosil in a syringe. Its one of the 2 spots the mat didnt get there.

The other spot where the mat didnt get it.

Cracked the plug

Last edited by outonsafari; 10-17-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Registered

Also made a strut shim, 4 layers 1700 off a piece of masonite with 3 quick coats of wax.
it'll grind down pretty easy and should be 100 x's better than the bent hunk of aluminum they hacked in at the factory.

masonite is how i'm going to add a partial flange to the seat mold it'll pop off and the flange will be a couple layers of glass

Old 10-19-2020, 07:37 AM
Registered

Trip and fall method, dumb, lucky, and or a combination of the above strikes again.
Playing around trying to figure out a make shift flange to help releasing the parts I threw a scrap piece of 3/4 ply in the mold and ended up trimming it down around the whole perimeter.
doing that got down past the spot where the mat didnt make it up top, down past where i chipped the gel trying to pop it out, and opened the spot on the bottom where the mat didnt make it, now itll be easier to fill.
too big of a hurry, didnt wax the masonite but it still popped off, some sanding itll be fine.

overall, trimmimg it down and adding an easybake oven flange i think will help produce a better part.