Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
How fatal is this damage? >

How fatal is this damage?

Notices

How fatal is this damage?

Old 02-27-2021, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Am I the only one interested in the long and boring story?

Great questions and answers here. Props to the OSO community.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,124 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
Am I the only one interested in the long and boring story?

Great questions and answers here. Props to the OSO community.
I’d be interested if it was short and interesting.
My attention span lessens as I get older.
The following 2 users liked this post by rak rua:
getrdunn (03-07-2021), WiBeezer (03-11-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 05:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

Yeah...the Story needs to be heard. 'Cuz it almost looks like the damage was the result of an INSIDE impact of some sort...
Old 03-02-2021, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaman
Yeah...the Story needs to be heard. 'Cuz it almost looks like the damage was the result of an INSIDE impact of some sort...
Lol. The long and boring story. The damaging event was a side impact at planing speed with a partially submerged object. Honestly my wife and I thought the impact felt less severe than chop we have been in going through the Gulf Stream. Our toddler-age son actually giggled at it. Initial inspection while boat was still in the water revealed nothing obvious aside from gel coat damage. We were nearly 100 miles from our home ramp and this occurred in the early evening with local marinas closed, so we had no way to get it out for closer inspection. We monitored the boat at a dock overnight, during which time it did not take on water. Return trip the next day, the hull opened up as you can see in the photos. My best guess is that internal damage to the hull that was not within my means to reasonably detect led to a delamination event from bouncing through waves. Thankfully I was in a heavily-trafficked waterway with multiple emergency responder vessels within a few minutes of me, so I had immediate help and was able to put pumps into the bilge before the water level got any higher than roughly the water pump pulleys.

Thank you all for the great advice. I am going to move on from this hull for sure. I am undecided about what to do with the power. It may go into a new boat, or I may resell it. A new boat will definitely be in the cards in the next couple of months, and I do want to stay in the performance category, but I'm leaning toward (gasp) an outboard center console design. My wife wants to be able to take more than three people with us, and my son seems to have a lot more fun for whatever reason when he's on those style boats. I think it's the more open bow he likes. So I may be outvoted on the family front haha. All good though, as long as I can break 70 mph and it can get me to the Keys and the Bahamas safely, then it's good by me.
The following 2 users liked this post by traumamed:
rak rua (03-02-2021), Sydwayz (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Find another hull