COLOSSUS! All I wanted was a seat.

Notices

COLOSSUS! All I wanted was a seat.

Old 01-20-2023, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 209 Posts

First 16, across all.

2 hours into the cure.
2 mixes both 16 then covered with pva. Got about quart and 1/2 of clear gel left.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:21 PM
Registered

Missed some spots but it's on its way, maybe good to go tomorrow. pinstripes and stencil still under gel.
The following users liked this post:
RSCHAP1 (01-24-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 07:43 AM
Registered

Got a nice deep shine all around on both seats, problem i have is stop sign shaped scratches from sanding 90, 45 and 45 thru the grits. Ordered sticky back paper, wrong stuff and the velcro paper didn't get delivered (lost and pending until the 31st).

So i'm missing 800, hopefully both can be re started at 800 and go up with better results.
those guys who wet sand a whole boat in a weekend must have a super secret cuz 5 hours on a seat leaves it needing more.

The new formula of vibra cut is nice, just opened a fresh gallon for these 2 seats, and need to buff to see what i'm leaving behind with the 1000 and up paper. Wet/ wet with soap/ dry makes no difference.
sheets of 3m tri mite leave edge/fold scratches, using 5 inch discs.

Last edited by outonsafari; 01-30-2023 at 07:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Wally (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 09:04 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 568 Likes on 293 Posts

Looks great in the pics! nice job.
If you do this again in the future.......instead of dealing with the clear gel and sanding/buffing.....maybe try going with a 2K clear coat that has UV protection built in. You could have sprayed it with 3 coats of clear with 10min of flash time between coats and saved some sanding time
As far as wet sanding large objects......go find yourself a jitterbug. Its an air powered sander that has a water line attachment. Hook up a garden hose, slap on some paper and go to town! Saves a lot of time not having to constantly either have a spray bottle or water bucket to keep things wet

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-30-2023, 06:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Looks great in the pics! nice job.
If you do this again in the future.......instead of dealing with the clear gel and sanding/buffing.....maybe try going with a 2K clear coat that has UV protection built in. You could have sprayed it with 3 coats of clear with 10min of flash time between coats and saved some sanding time
As far as wet sanding large objects......go find yourself a jitterbug. Its an air powered sander that has a water line attachment. Hook up a garden hose, slap on some paper and go to town! Saves a lot of time not having to constantly either have a spray bottle or water bucket to keep things wet
Thanks, yeah right angle and light they look great, spin it around and they don't pass muster.

sanding on both seats as follows;
80 grit on electric da wet and soapy to cut 99% orange peel.
220 on electric da wet and soapy to just finsh the orange peel and remove the 80 corkscrews.
400 dry to remove the 220 corkscrews
600 wet @ 90,45, 45
1000 and 1500 wet @ 90, 45, 45
buffed with vibra cut on wool pad to show what got missed.
scratches i'm seeing are straight and could very well be 600 almost completely sanded down.
when sanding i can see the 400 filling up with dusty water, wipe and sand till gone.

It's patience and skill thats missing, i started with 600 by hand and kept going lower to knock the orange peel down until i gave up and plugged in the da. Hose on mist to keep it clean, not enough compressor to run tool like you mentioned.

Last edited by outonsafari; 01-30-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 06:15 PM
Registered

In a last act of desperation each tray got 16 oz of surfboard resin w/ the correct amount of wax added. Hopefully, vibra cut will take it off the surface. Bet the resins 1/8 inch thick

The hardware for both seats and snack trays gets joined together with globs of destruction starting tommorow. You guys know globs of destruction by another name, welding !
Old 01-31-2023, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 305 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by outonsafari View Post

In a last act of desperation each tray got 16 oz of surfboard resin w/ the correct amount of wax added. Hopefully, vibra cut will take it off the surface. Bet the resins 1/8 inch thick

The hardware for both seats and snack trays gets joined together with globs of destruction starting tommorow. You guys know globs of destruction by another name, welding !
Outonsafari,

"globs of destruction".....? Don't you mean "blue electric glue"....?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Old 01-31-2023, 04:40 PM
Registered

Brad, more like Blue electric "hot"glue. I've smoked 3 pairs of tig gloves and only gone thru 3 pounds of filler rod, king of slow learning around here

Dried flatter than they looked yesterday

This is the problem with the hybrid fabric, carbon stays flat and the kevlar swells up leaving a washboard surface, i wont use any more, from now on color will come in the form of dyed 2x2 twill composite envision sells.

1000 wet then buffed, as done as they're getting

I can hammer that plate so the rod is square, they'll swivel on the level

failed no time to mess around, gluing core down and inserting t-nuts.

They fit into a grommet pulled off my old recliners

Borrowed idea, just bigger with cup holders

Last edited by outonsafari; 01-31-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:14 PM
Registered

Warning, the following pictures may not be suitable for all viewers.

Pickd a good sequence welding the 45's to the front/backs then the uprights yesterday.
Today i tacked it all together but when the welding started i immediately screwed up worse than globs of destruction. Called it a day when normally it would've been swear words and pedal down followed by more swear words.

Got enough material to make 4 of these and i have until the 26th to make one good enough for the marine corp seat.

Last edited by outonsafari; 02-05-2023 at 01:18 PM.