Chip repair advice needed >

Chip repair advice needed

Notices

Chip repair advice needed

Old 03-19-2023, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Chip repair advice needed

Tips on how to fix these chips? Ive got a gallon of the yellow gelcoat, but no hardener. Appreciate any products and methods...

Thinking marinetex on the deep chip, and then just dab gelcoat in the others to build up, sand / buff / polish?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-20-2023, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

Your on the right track. Alternate might be, fill all with Marinetex or similar, and get your self a Prevail sprayer (self contained). Thin the gel a bit, spray whole area of repairs, then sand, buff , polish.

I would check how your gel material matches actual boat, before preceding, as that may help you determine best course of action
Old 03-20-2023, 07:52 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

I dont see anything worth filling with marinetex...that will only make your job that much harder to get it smooth and matched with such small chips. I would get some 91% isopropyl alcohol and clean all those chips off.....and build up the gel higher than the surrounding area, Then wet-sand with a straight edge (could be as simple as a 2-3" piece if straight wood with the sand paper wrapped around it) and buff it back to a shine.
That's a very simple explanation cause there's more to this like if the gel is waxed or un-waxed.....you would need multiple steps wet sanding with finer and finer grades of paper. 2 or 3 different steps polishing etc.

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wally:
Griff (03-20-2023), liquidlounge (03-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Wally and scarabman ....

Appreciate the replies. Wasn't sure with as deep as the one into the black would need some filler, but I'll give it a whirl with the gelcoat only... Any suggestions on what hardener for the gelcoat? MEKP seems to be the common answer from Google... but I trust responses here over Google, lol
Thanks

[EDIT] Did some searching here and found an old GlassDave post and he clarified MEKP and a 2% ratio, so guess I'll pick up a small amount and get to it lol

Last edited by cdaniel525; 03-20-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:10 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Just verify what kind of gel you have (waxed or unwaxed) if it has the wax you are good to go...if not waxed then get some plastic wrap or parchment paper etc to cover the gel while it dries or it will never fully cure and you'll have a sticky mess to deal with

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-21-2023, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

MEKP is correct. What you will find, with gel only, is you will likely have to do multiple applications to get the build up/volume. It will shrink as it cures, and wants to run if you put it on to thick. GEL paste, tinted to color might help.