Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Silent Thunder removal on newer FasTechs (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/146833-silent-thunder-removal-newer-fastechs.html)

rhsj2006 12-09-2006 01:04 PM

Silent Thunder removal on newer FasTechs

I searched and reviewed the (many) previous threads on ST removal and while I found alot of great information and pics on removal of the ST box which also doubled as a swim platform (like the SR series), I didn't see much on removal of the non-integrated ST. Does anyone have details and pics of a newer FasTech with this mod?

I'm very interested in seeing how it looks and understanding what is involved for me to do this to my 2003 292. I have the Captians Call switchable exhaust (which I like) if that makes any difference in the mods for exhaust tips, routing, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rippem 12-09-2006 02:59 PM

Re: Silent Thunder removal on newer FasTechs

1 Attachment(s)
now you see it...

Rippem 12-09-2006 03:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
now you don't...

Magicfloat 12-09-2006 03:03 PM

On Fastechs the look is exactly the same,all you are doing is removeing the lower pan,unlike the older boats. Starting in 06 the pan is eliminated ,they are using Corsa mufflers to keep the sound down. With Capts Call you have an ideal situation,you can go to extremely quiet to loud,as there are no mufflers in the silent thunder thru hull tips like 06 boats. However,you MUST buy 4 rubber flappers to install on the existing tips to eliminate water ingestion. They are cheap, available at most dealers(or Trick Marine) Just be aware that with the pan removed and Capts Call open,you may be illegal sound wise. Of course you can always hit the CC switch :p

Magicfloat 12-09-2006 03:08 PM

Rippem went the extra mile with new mufflers tips,a nice touch. Now he can go from very quiet to kind of quite and be legal both ways :drink: I'm just saying you don't have to do that if you spend a very few bucks on flappers and don't mind it loud when open. Rippem's mods,while more costly.are pretty much what is the factory system now,and is a nice setup

Rippem 12-09-2006 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
or find some used transom mount Corsa's to replace the raw stainless stock tips like I did. They are plentiful as take-offs and inexpensive.

Robert's right in that getting rid of the box is easy and cheap if you can do "open" exhaust. with smallblocks it can't be too loud. :D

rhsj2006 12-10-2006 11:59 AM

Rippem, thanks so much for the great pics - Impressed me enough that I'll be doing this asap. I think I'll install straight tips w/ flappers to see how loud it is, move to the Corsa setup if it sounds like it might be trouble for me.

Robert, thanks for your comments as well.

OSO absolutely rocks.

Magicfloat 12-10-2006 12:32 PM

Let me clarify,you don't have to install straight tips,they are already there inside the Silent Thunder. Just clamp on the low cost flappers on the existing tips and evaluate if it's too loud before you spend the money and time on the Corsa mufflers.Like Rippem said,the small blocks may be OK on noise.

PhantomChaos 12-10-2006 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See it........

http://www.vxi.cc/312/images/P0000397-w.jpg

Now you don't........

rhsj2006 12-11-2006 12:31 AM

Nice boat, Phantom, and thanks for the pics. I can't quite tell from the 2nd photo - Did you add mufflers or are those the factory tips with added flappers?

Rippem 12-11-2006 07:27 AM

The stock thru-hull tips that are in there dumping into the box are raw stainless and short, about 2-3 inches exposed. The back of the silent thunder "bucket" has rubber donuts that fit around these.

On Nort's 312, as many do, for appearances sake, the stock tips are replaced by a longer polished thru-hull tip, or in my case transom mount Corsa mufflers.

Some aftermarket tips have internal flappers, some don't. Run external rubber flappers regardless to assure no water ingestion.

Rippem 12-11-2006 08:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
stock tips... short raw S/S with wieghted internal flapper

Rippem 12-11-2006 08:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
silent thunder "pan". you can see how the exhaust is routed together per side and split to exhaust outlets. Also note the rubber seals I spoke of, and the two L-brackets that support the middle of the box in conjunction with the bolt that thread into gunnel T-nuts at each back corner.
Put an O-ring and some 4200 on those center bolts and put 'em back in the transom after you take the pan off..

Rippem 12-11-2006 08:44 AM

Hope that helps Rob. :)

t500hps 12-11-2006 09:17 AM

No pics, but you've already seen them...I took my box off and just installed the rubber flappers to the stock tips. They are short and "hidden" under the platform so I couldn't see spending the money replacing something you can't see when in the water anyway. (and the rubber flapper will nearly cover the entire stock short tip also)

ThirdBird 12-11-2006 11:13 AM

Hey Rip,
Helping a guy with a 271 replace the seals on his box. Obviously, we need new "doughnut" seals but, is there also a seal where the box mates to the platform?

In your pics it looks like there was a seal or some adhesive on top, aft section of the box where it bolts-up to the platform.

Any seals/adhesive on the sides?

Thanks,
Bird

PhantomChaos 12-11-2006 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by rhsj2006
Nice boat, Phantom, and thanks for the pics. I can't quite tell from the 2nd photo - Did you add mufflers or are those the factory tips with added flappers?

Added polished pipe tips, and rubber flappers. Mufflers? No way! :)

Don't have them now either....... :D :D

http://www.vxi.cc/phantomchaos/images/P0002325.jpg

Rippem 12-11-2006 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ThirdBird
Hey Rip,
Helping a guy with a 271 replace the seals on his box. Obviously, we need new "doughnut" seals but, is there also a seal where the box mates to the platform?

In your pics it looks like there was a seal or some adhesive on top, aft section of the box where it bolts-up to the platform.

Any seals/adhesive on the sides?

Thanks,
Bird

No, and No :D

just the donuts.

C_Spray 12-11-2006 02:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Personally, I'm a fan of angle-cut tips....

PhantomChaos 12-11-2006 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray

Me too! Sweet pic Chuck!

C_Spray 12-12-2006 07:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
Me too! Sweet pic Chuck!

Don't you mean "Me, Too!"???:

rhsj2006 12-12-2006 10:50 AM

Rippem, thanks so much for the additional pics and details. A huge help.

Since my boat is in warehouse storage on the trailer (here in the SF Bay area it is tough to own enough land to store a boat this size at home), I would like to gather everything I need before bringing it home to do this mod.

Rippem, Robert, or T500, can you tell me what the O.D. of the stock tips are so I can order flappers?

Thanks.

-Rob

Rippem 12-12-2006 04:21 PM

standard 4"

RaggedEdge 12-12-2006 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem
standard 4"

And that would be the root of your problems with the fairer sex, don't you think. And you have been poking fun at our friend 5 Inch.

t500hps 12-12-2006 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem
standard 4"

Ditto...

t500hps 12-12-2006 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
And that would be the root of your problems with the fairer sex, don't you think. And you have been poking fun at our friend 5 Inch.

That would be 4 inches.....................WIDE! :eek: :D

Rippem 12-12-2006 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
And that would be the root of your problems with the fairer sex

for one thing, they are hardly "fairer" in thier thinking or conduct a good deal of the time.

for two... no problem...I'm getting quite fond of the "tag and release" :D

variety is treating me well. :cool:

axapowell 12-12-2006 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps
That would be 4 inches.....................WIDE! :eek: :D

And you know this why??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Dave

Rippem 12-12-2006 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by axapowell
And you know this why?

obviously he's been talking to those women who've been released ;)

axapowell 12-12-2006 10:45 PM

:D

t500hps 12-13-2006 08:05 AM

Dave

Should have seen that one coming!!!
For some reason I remembered a line I used a few times in high school "I'll admit I only have a 3 inch dick...but some girls like 'em that wide!" :D

RaggedEdge 12-13-2006 06:33 PM

Dave

So you are in fact still alive and able to sit up and take nourishment.

axapowell 12-14-2006 12:10 AM

Ragged...

Yes I am, but not without a price, work has been a SOB lately. Very busy, but hopefully it will calm down between X-mas and New Years. I plan to take some well deserved time off for the Holidays. Looking forward to seeing Sam and yourself at the HBW's party in January!

Dave

BumSauce 05-14-2010 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Rippem (Post 1958089)
or find some used transom mount Corsa's to replace the raw stainless stock tips like I did. They are plentiful as take-offs and inexpensive.

Robert's right in that getting rid of the box is easy and cheap if you can do "open" exhaust. with smallblocks it can't be too loud. :D

I know this is an older thread but this is exactly what I want to do. I'm not digging the ST box but we have noise ordinance laws in MD: 90db @ 4ft from rear of vessel, taken at the dock, not all natural resource police carry meters.

I still want the boat to sound good and not affect performance so I'll bend the rules. Just don't want to draw the extra attention that not putting anything on would do.

I went to the Corsa site and there were a bunch of different lines, not sure which is what I need.

Would these work:
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o33866-en.html

silent lucidity 05-17-2010 01:56 PM

enjoy,

Originally Posted by rhsj2006 (Post 1958027)
I searched and reviewed the (many) previous threads on ST removal and while I found alot of great information and pics on removal of the ST box which also doubled as a swim platform (like the SR series), I didn't see much on removal of the non-integrated ST. Does anyone have details and pics of a newer FasTech with this mod?

I'm very interested in seeing how it looks and understanding what is involved for me to do this to my 2003 292. I have the Captians Call switchable exhaust (which I like) if that makes any difference in the mods for exhaust tips, routing, etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I removed the ST and added Eddie Marine 450 tips which have the switchable muffller buit inside. Clean and loads of fun. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzkLaf3kG8Y

slivings 05-17-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 1959592)

What tips/mufflers are those? I have the Corsica's on mine and I hate the super low tone at "no wake" speeds, which I assume is caused by being so far under the swim platform. Maybe extending like yours makes it better?

C_Spray 06-08-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by slivings (Post 3112473)
What tips/mufflers are those? I have the Corsica's on mine and I hate the super low tone at "no wake" speeds, which I assume is caused by being so far under the swim platform. Maybe extending like yours makes it better?

Those are custom-made by CORSA. My boat has Innovation 600's with Stellings headers, and the headers point downwards at about 30 degrees. Clamp-on mufflers would have been buried in the water, so I had CORSA make some mufflers that did not neck down, and then made my own angled wedge rings to point them straight back. In the end, it would have been simpler to have CORSA make the mufflers with an angled flange on them...

silent lucidity 06-16-2010 11:59 AM

Here is my 97 312 changed the Tahiti paint and **** canned the ST exhaust. Added larger after market exhaust system and Teague 450 tips that have a switchable muffler inside.. go loud and proud or soft and supple. check out Y-tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzkLaf3kG8Y

Berglund 06-16-2010 03:29 PM

Perhaps a stupid question but why are you guys removing the ST?

Is it because it's too silent or is it very bad for performance?
I've just bought a -04 292 with 377 Scorpions (blue ones) which has silent thunder. Would I benefit from removing it? I am not looking for more noise, but could probably live with it if it would improve performance. I live in Sweden and we have no noise regulations here, it's all about respect for fellow boaters.

silent lucidity 06-17-2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Berglund (Post 3137719)
Perhaps a stupid question but why are you guys removing the ST?

Is it because it's too silent or is it very bad for performance?
I've just bought a -04 292 with 377 Scorpions (blue ones) which has silent thunder. Would I benefit from removing it? I am not looking for more noise, but could probably live with it if it would improve performance. I live in Sweden and we have no noise regulations here, it's all about respect for fellow boaters.

Hey Sweden dude...Been trying to get my wife to go there for a couple years now....With me I guess..ha! When I dropped mine off I picked up about 300 rpms and loss of the weight. I hated the rumble / vibration it gave too..With water in them I bet they weight as much as a chick.... Now, I also put on EMI Offshore manifolds w/ S/S risers. Between all this my mid range punch jumped quit a bit. I also had to raise the rev limiter to 5400 because I was hitting it after these mods...
Now I get to jump to 30P Bravo 1 props... Can't wait to see how she acts now.