Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Off Topic-BMW (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/155754-off-topic-bmw.html)

Magicfloat 04-11-2007 11:13 PM

Off Topic-BMW

Maybe ya'll will have some input. Karen thinks she wants a BMW Z4 M coupe. I have a Formula customer in CA that has a dealership so getting a good price is no problem,but I'm a truck guy,know nothing about cars. I would never drive it,but would Karen enjoy it? Seems like nothing more than a small,expensive hot rod,with no room for my labs. Am I getting too old?What are your thoughts,pro or con?Don't worry about hurting my feelings,I need input:drink:

RedDog382 04-12-2007 06:27 AM

Robert,

I have a BMW X5. Cannot beat the safety features, engineering, and handling of a BMW. Definately a high quality vehicle.

They are a bit more expensive to maintain after the warranty/service agreement expires. Dealer brake job on my X5 was quoted over $1000, but that replaces pads and rotors as BMW rotors are tapered and cannot be shaved.

What about a convertible 3 series with sport package?

DOCS OUT 04-12-2007 10:56 AM

Magicfloat, You Asked.....

1- It's Small, Certainly No Room For Labs, Nor Groceries.

2- It's Low. Think Doing Deep Knee Bends Or Genuflecting To Get In. No Problem Initially, But After A While It Gets To Be B.s.
Also Low Compared To Other Vehicles, I'm Talkin' Much Below The Eye Sight Line Of Sedans Not Trucks. Hence, Some Concern For Safety.

3- Far Be It From Me As A Totle Stranger To Make A Suggestion But..., If She's Hell Bent On Bmw, Consider The New 3 Coupe Or The 2 Door 4 Passenger Convertible. Both Very Cool. The 3 Coupe Is Brand Spanking New To The Market. Both It And The Convertible Have Head Turning Sex Appeal, And Also Space.

selpel 04-12-2007 11:05 AM

Last year I purchased a Z-3 for my wife, and I cannot believe how much we drive it. What a great car! i have 5 licensed vehicles and last summer we put 18,000 miles on the Z while the others sat. You say you would not most likely drive it but wait until you do . You will change your mind I will bet.

Boomer 880 04-12-2007 11:15 AM

I owned a M3 years ago and swore I would never own another BMW. Too many costly issues all of the time!!!

Lexus for us:)

Magicfloat 04-12-2007 11:51 AM

Is it true I can't even get the oil changed at the local Jiffy Lube?

Donzi38ZR 04-12-2007 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Magicfloat (Post 2090579)
Is it true I can't even get the oil changed at the local Jiffy Lube?

Why would you want to??? All new BMW's come with free scheduled maintenance program. free oil changes for life, brake pads, wiper blades air filters,top everything off... etc..etc.. are all covered under the umbrella...

Audiofn 04-12-2007 12:12 PM

Robert that is the basic car that my wife had out in Cali and she is so sad that she had to get rid of it on the move back to MA. It was a LOT of fun to drive. I thought I would hate it but then drove the thing. I wish we still had it from time to time.

Do yourself a favor and go and drive it, you will want one 2 :D

Jon

PremierPOWER 04-12-2007 12:15 PM

We have a 2004 BMW M3.... No problems so far, 39,xxx miles. Never been in the Z4 but its a rocket with the 330hp M engine. Please dont get it changed at Jiffy Lube, I wouldnt trust them. Also, BMW says to get the oil changed every 15,000 miles. I wouldnt go more than 7,500 at the most. Most people do between 3,000-5000 . Im not aware of any z4 forums, but go to m3forum.com most people there are using castrol TWS 10w60 oil.

Magicfloat 04-12-2007 02:10 PM

I guess my concern is the closest dealer is an hour and a half away,plus I will be buying from a Formula customer out of state and they might not like that. Mostly it is just the convenience of local normal maintenance has always been so easy with my Chevy trucks and Toyota Sequoias. But probrably moot points anyway,cause if Karen wants this car,guess what will happen?:rolleyes: :drink: