Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Results: 292 with 280S K-Planes (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/156608-results-292-280s-k-planes.html)

4mulafastech 04-23-2007 07:27 PM

Results: 292 with 280S K-Planes

Well the weather was finally good enough to get out and do some boating Saturday. I started a thread about a month ago showing pictures of my new 280S K-Planes installed by Competition Marine Center of St. Charles, MO. I have a 2006 292 with the 6.2's and put 57 hours on it last year when it had the stock Bennett tabs. Most of our boating is on the Mississippi river and also took it on Lake Erie, so I have some experience in various water conditions to compare. The Mississippi can get pretty nasty with big cruisers and barges and you all know how nasty Lake Erie can get.

I just knew the Bennetts were not doing this hull justice, and BOY was I right about that! By the way, I think it is disappointing that Formula does not offer the 280S K-Planes on the 292 (or 271 for that matter). When we were on the plant tour with Ryan before ordering the boat I tried to convince them to put them on, but for some reason Formula does not want to stray from the standard build sheet.

Now I have heard some comments like "heck, these hulls don't even need tabs"... Well maybe on those glass smooth Alabama lakes, but you get into some big water, that's another story (sorry Robert!:p )

I put 3 hours on the boat Saturday and the improvement in ride and general handling is extremely impressive. For instance, with the Bennetts running 45-50 mph or so into large rollers or swells, typically the bow would periodically launch up and come down fairly hard. You know, the "bang" that shakes your fillings loose... This weekend running with the K-Planes we were going down river and there were three (yes three, which is rare...) fully loaded barges going upstream against a stiff current. Lot of sloppy rollers and holes. I put a little negative tab down, accelerated up to around 50 mph to see how she did. The bow never broke the horizon, never launched, and just danced right over the mess like I had training wheels. With the Bennetts she would have been a handful... The wife looked at me and said "Oh my God, I can't believe the difference!" Now she is actually HAPPY I spent that money on them... ENOUGH SAID!:D

BTW, if anyone from Formula is by chance reading this, I suggest doing a head to head test in rough water. The K-Planes takes the 292 to another level...

Wow, this has to be my longest post...:rolleyes:

axapowell 04-23-2007 07:45 PM

Congrats on a FINE upgrade! Like to see some pic's of the install. Did Formula ever give you a specific reason why they wouldn't put the tabs on, besides they just don't?

Dave

Expensive Date 04-23-2007 10:56 PM

Thank you for your info.Did it also keep the bow down when coming up on plane and did it come out of the water quicker? Thanks again

fastboatbob 04-24-2007 09:10 AM

Congrats! Good report.One more quick question. Are you now able to maintain plane easier in the 35mph range? As you know, 292's do not maintain plane in that range.

h2oboy 04-24-2007 11:51 AM

I've got a '92 303 that needs a trim tab upgrade bad (porpoising(?) problem). I took the Silent Thunder box off in hopes of taking a little weight off of the transom.

Thanks for the report - see you on the river!

4mulafastech 04-24-2007 01:18 PM

Thanks guys!:drink:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=153374

axapowell, above is a link to the original thread with pics. Regarding Formula's reason why, I got a couple different answers. First was "Engineering said they won't fit", then "K-Planes are too much for the boat" (then I showed the Powerboat article where they put them on the 271 Fastech), but it basically came down to the fact that Formula does not go "off" the available option sheet and they stated they are not a custom boat builder, sorry... I really think they need to somehow put K-Planes on the option sheet...

Expensive Date, yes, it planed noticably quicker with less bow rise, and that is with only minimum negative tab.

marylandmark, you're welcome!

fastboatbob, I played with this a little bit. Before (like you know) under 35 mph she used to fall off plane. I was able to hold a 25 mph plane but at a "not so efficient" rpm, somewhere around 2800-3000. BUT, it didn't fall off plane! This will be good for tubing and such. I am contemplating set-back boxes for next winter as I think getting the props in cleaner water (less slip) and further back (more leverage) may also help in this area. Does anyone know of a 292 with set-back boxes? I know I can get the green light from the wife, just have to say it will help improve the ride!

h2oboy, good luck and we'll keep an eye out for that 303. What color? We are out of Lake Center Marina.

slivings 04-24-2007 07:20 PM

Soooo...the question in my mind, how would this translate to an 01 271 w/ 496? My boat (new to me late last year) which I only have a few hours in, planes slow, and won't cruise slow at all. Your (before) symptoms sound very similar to mine, so I wonder what the results would be if I switched to K-Planes.?????

h2oboy 04-24-2007 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech (Post 2104321)

h2oboy, good luck and we'll keep an eye out for that 303. What color? We are out of Lake Center Marina.

White with blue and yellow stripes - "Finally Wet". It stays on the trailer up at a friends fiberglass shop. I usually put in at Johns or Huster.

There is another 29 called "To The Max" that is out on the river - he's a friend as well

4mulafastech 04-24-2007 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by slivings (Post 2104851)
Soooo...the question in my mind, how would this translate to an 01 271 w/ 496? My boat (new to me late last year) which I only have a few hours in, planes slow, and won't cruise slow at all. Your (before) symptoms sound very similar to mine, so I wonder what the results would be if I switched to K-Planes.?????

slivings, I think you would be very happy with the results. Check out the Powerboat article where they did the 280S K-Plane install on your 271 Fastech. They said it makes for a much better package.:cool: I concur!!

http://www.powerboatmagazine.com/2003features/feb01.php

4mulafastech 04-24-2007 09:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by h2oboy (Post 2104929)
White with blue and yellow stripes - "Finally Wet". It stays on the trailer up at a friends fiberglass shop. I usually put in at Johns or Huster.

There is another 29 called "To The Max" that is out on the river - he's a friend as well

:cool: cool. My brother kept his a '84 21LS Formula at Johns and he just moved to Lake Center this year. We used to put in at Lynn Genes (now Riverside) all the time in our old ride from 1993-2000. You may remember seeing her back then...:D We usually hung out at Hat Island. See you on THE RIVER!