Rookie move, now I need some windshield work

Notices
Formula

Rookie move, now I need some windshield work

Old 05-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rookie move, now I need some windshield work

I'm embarassed enough I let this happen so go easy on me. I was dropping off a passenger and snuck in between the bows of two megayachts to get to a dock. I knew the wind was blowing but I didn't notice the tide was running strong in the same direction. Didn't get a good shove off the dock and got blown into the bow of one of the yachts.
The shiny stainless bow protector got me on the port windshield frame and bent it in about 3-4 inches. The glass didn't break, nothing was visibly torn out or anything, but I imagine the fasteners will need some work/reinforcing/backing plates.

I was planning on pulling the windshield to put in a new white seal and re-seal the screws, but this moves it up a bit on the list. I need some tips/tricks on working with the windshield glass and frame. Thanks guys.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, you are amazingly lucky the glass didn't shatter!

I changed out the fairing on my 382 for a stainless windshield by myself, but my suggestion is to have a couple extra pairs of hands to help you with this. The glass is much more likely to break if not supported by the frame. Just be sure to distribute pressure evenly across the bend if lifting a glass section. Lay out some thick blankets on the bow to set the sections on. Foam rubber would aslo be good to set the curved piece down on to distribute the weight over more than one point.

Mostly just be careful, and save the beers until after the job is done.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Registered

Question Windshield or NO windshield

I have a 1984 302 SR1.........I have completely sanded the whole boat to gelcoat and giving her a kick a** graphic job. The windshield is a big concern.(1) I was thinking of retro-fitting the windshield into a fairing(2)Leaving the original windshield and tinting the windows (3) Having the windshield aluminum frame powder coated in white with tinted glass......What do you guys think?

Also, where do I get the glass weather stripping that seals the window in the frame. Mine were missing or had cracked due to its age.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob if you want a window to mess around with I have an extra from my project.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Registered

try taylor made systems thay made a lot of winshilds for formula boats. 260-347-1368