Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Bottom paint (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/177277-bottom-paint.html)

Magicfloat 01-11-2008 09:18 PM

Bottom paint

Long time customer in California is buying a new 31PC,will have to leave it in the water so he wants to bottom paint.But he plans to trade in next year for a bigger Formula. This troubles me as I am not a fan of bottom paint. What advice should I give him besides letting him know that bottom paint will affect resale?

axapowell 01-11-2008 10:26 PM

I would tell him to have it pulled and cleaned every 2 months (acid & pressure washed). The cost to do so for a year will be paid back to him on the resale. And the fact that he won't have to pay to have the bottom painted in the first place! A little expense spread out over the year should help with resale and his decision.

Dave

selpel 01-12-2008 06:32 AM

The boat will most likely stay in Calif. so I would put teflon bottom paint on it and my resale pitch in a year would be it is already for the salt water. Plus it will not slow the boats top speed.

Audiofn 01-12-2008 08:04 AM

What about rack storage?

Magicfloat 01-12-2008 08:41 AM

His current 330 is rack stored but for some reason the 31PC will have to stay in the water.I will be trading it back in in a year or so so I really don't want him to paint it,as most of my sales are freshwater. This is a kind of unusual situation to go that far away,but I have developed a long term relationship with this customer. He trusts me and will do what I advise,just don't want to steer him wrong on the paint. Not being a saltwater expert,I/m asking y'all for advice,which is much appreciated.

RedDog382 01-12-2008 09:03 AM

Hydrohoist ...?

RedDog382 01-12-2008 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by axapowell (Post 2403236)
I would tell him to have it pulled and cleaned every 2 months (acid & pressure washed). The cost to do so for a year will be paid back to him on the resale. And the fact that he won't have to pay to have the bottom painted in the first place! A little expense spread out over the year should help with resale and his decision.

Dave

This will not prevent blistering. If I was going to have a PC that stayed in the water, I would bottom paint it also. Despite the new chemicals and technology, blistering can still occur quickly under certain conditions.

Had a minor problem with this on my 311 as I had it in-water the first year I owned it. The blisters resolved after I pulled it out and left it on the trailer.

I would buy a bottom-painted PC long before I bought one with gel-coat blistering.

The bottom paint must be applied over a barrier coat like VC tar to be fully effective in preventing blistering.

Does Formulas warranty cover blistering? They are the best boat company out ther, but I kinda doubt it ...

jmackin 01-12-2008 01:07 PM

Ablative paint?