Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   on a 382 where is your VHF & Ant (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/199653-382-where-your-vhf-ant.html)

rjr 12-02-2008 03:37 PM

on a 382 where is your VHF & Ant

My 99 382 didn't have a vhf when I bought it. I purchased an Icom radio and an 8' antenna but can't decide where to put them. In the dash in place of the speedo, would minimize installation (wiring, and connecting to the GPS) problems.

The new guy at Formula said they mounted them on the side near the wheel but I think that must be in the way.

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated. I am also wondering if my new antenna can stand up to the velocity this boat is capable of.

Thanks

t500hps 12-02-2008 04:55 PM

My 2002 (and most that I remember seeing) have the VHF mounted in the panel beside your bolster seat. Picture yourself at the helm with your hand on the throttles.......right under your elbow behind the cup holder. It's mounted facing straight up. The VHF is mounted to a SS pivoting bracket along the "walkway" to the bow.....just outside the windshield about where the throttles are. The antenna is released down to the bow rail when not needed or in use.

t500hps 12-02-2008 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
best pic I could find.......

rjr 12-02-2008 07:51 PM

T500 right now it's <32 degrees and the "Ridiculous" is under a tarp. BUT, as soon as I can I am going to look into your suggestion. It sounds like the only real solution.

FYI I read your post looking for an instrument panel. I have the Formula drawings for the stepped and the latest panels. If you need them let me know.

RR

t500hps 12-02-2008 09:48 PM

Thanks but I've already created the design for the new main panel. If you have the drawings for the other 4 smaller panels, getting those would be great.
I'm working with a company right now that can make carbon fiber panels like in the new boats. Based on a few more details I'm waiting on, I might have found a great way for Formula owners (and any other brand of boat) to have custom dash panels made for reasonable $$$$.

t500hps 12-02-2008 09:50 PM

BTW: Mine's under a "tarp' too......see the pic. Mine just fits a little more loosely than yours :)

I was re-packing wheel bearings out there til about 9:30 last night.......40 degrees and raining outside.

offthefront 12-03-2008 05:35 AM

I wonder if the VHF is really even needed anymore? In 5 years I have never used mine. I think if I was installing one I would look into an "emergency" type stick on Antenna ...That way if you needed it would be available...m

t500hps 12-03-2008 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by offthefront (Post 2751717)
I wonder if the VHF is really even needed anymore? In 5 years I have never used mine. I think if I was installing one I would look into an "emergency" type stick on Antenna ...That way if you needed it would be available...m

I have never used mine either....in 16 years of owning boats I can't remember the last time I used one,

I also have a handheld VHF with spare batteries in the bottom of a storage bin in the cagin too.....probably don't need to carry that either huh?

rjr 12-03-2008 08:40 AM

Around here (Long Is. Sound) it seems like VHF's are used mainly for radio checks. I advocate having one for safety. You never know... I also use it for contacting friends, although you can make a case for cell phones instead.