'09 292 Engines out of synch

Notices
Formula

'09 292 Engines out of synch

Old 08-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 292 Engines out of synch

I'm posting this here first and then may move to general depending upon the response.

I have a 2009 292 with about 50 hours on it. Just recently, the engines started running at different rpm's when throttles at same position.... about 500-600 rpm different when in higher rpm's. Not a big deal as I can adjust the sticks so that both running at same rpm. Or is this something I need to look further into?

Also, the starboard engine which is always the lower rpm side will only spin up to 4500 rpm at full throttle. This has me more concerned than being in synch but I'm thinking it may be related. Is there anything I can check before taking back to the dealer? I'm not a fan of being without my boat for a couple weeks while they look at.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless it is a bent prop, you need to take it in and have it checked out while it is still under warranty. Could be minor or serious.

Maybe a fuel filter also.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say there is something wrong beside a throttle adjustment if you are expierencing a loss of RPM's at the top as well. Jeffman hs led you to the first place to look. The prop. Any vibration while running? If not, then a check of the fuel filter is a good next step. From there, ignition, spark plugs, wires... Then to the dealer!

Let us know how you make out.

Dave
Old 08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you've seen a huge loss in top speed, look for bad alternator diodes in the engine that reads low. Been there/done that....
Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Registered

No vibration while running that I can detect. Some while accelerating in the 1500-2000 rpm range... always thought cavitation of some amount and getting up on plane. Prop doesn't appear bent to me. How bent would he have to be to cause a problem? I did run through shallow area on the lake one time (noticed some muddy water surfacing behind so I trimmed up a little and was fine) and had a nick on the prop that I took a hand file to, but only because I was being anal about little bur on the edge. Could something as minor as that cause a problem? It was not something hard or feel a clunk.... I'm guessing just some rocks/pebbles in the lake bottom that caused it.

Could any adjustment be causing the throttle to not push forward enough to just not let the engine keep rev higher?

Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Take off the flame arrestor (three small nuts) and see if the throttle body butterfly is opening fully. Should be straight up and down with the throttle wide open.

500-600 rpm is a significant loss. From your description, it doesn't sound like it is a prop issue. You probably should take it to the dealer for them to check it out. Hey, at least it is under warranty!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

The motor that has dropped RPM may be running on 7 cylinders. Check the plug wires and spark plugs. It is hard to tell by ear if the motor is missing.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the speed actually down (5-6 mph), or does the tach just read low? If the speed hasn't fallen off, you have a gauge problem, not an engine problem.

When the diodes go bad in an alternator, they allow alternating current into the 12vdc system. This creates havoc with things like gauges.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Registered

Top speed is down... or atleast I think so. Past weekend in relatively calm waters with just me and half tank of gas, 64 was about the best I could get. I know I have been in upper 60's if not 70 before so I think that speed is down and not just a gauge problem. But I will keep that in mind.

I will check the throttle body butterflies, fuel filters and wires/plus this weekend. I'm just hoping it's not something to have to take into the dealer knowing it is usually 2-3 weeks before I get it back.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

I had a drop in rpm (400) and top speed in my boat last year. Felt more sluggish out of the hole. By ear, nothing sounded amiss. Did a little investigating in the engine compartment and the number 2 plug wire was hanging down in the bilge. Hopefully your problem is as easy to resolve as mine was. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.