419 triple or twin staggered

Notices
Formula

419 triple or twin staggered

Old 12-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 419 triple or twin staggered

I am in the middle of a faily complete update of a 1997 419 fastec with triple 525 super charged mercs. I puked one engine and have two good canditates for engine updating. Given insurance and fuel, would I be better off switching to a twin staggered set-up as apposed to re-building as a triple engine package. Boat ran 80 mph all day every day with the stock set-up. I thought with twin staggered and boxes I might see 70 mph and thought that would be sufficient speed for people looking at this year and model of Formula. Also, I thought the twin staggered set-up would allow someone to upgrade engines without re-rigging. Everyone's thoughts would be helpfull.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 38fountainecman
I am in the middle of a faily complete update of a 1997 419 fastec with triple 525 super charged mercs. I puked one engine and have two good canditates for engine updating. Given insurance and fuel, would I be better off switching to a twin staggered set-up as apposed to re-building as a triple engine package. Boat ran 80 mph all day every day with the stock set-up. I thought with twin staggered and boxes I might see 70 mph and thought that would be sufficient speed for people looking at this year and model of Formula. Also, I thought the twin staggered set-up would allow someone to upgrade engines without re-rigging. Everyone's thoughts would be helpfull.
Your going to have to re-glass the transom and do some serious work in the engine room all the way up to the dash. Probably install something other than bravos too. Id say sell it and buy a twin stagg boat thats set up the way you like it.....or get ready to open the check book.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:08 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Way too much work and money.Redo it in stock triple engine form.You will just dig a deeper hole trying to change to twins
Old 12-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Depends if you like the boat and don't mind the project I would do Staggered in a heart beat.

One of the great riggers ( current mental block ) changed a apache from tripple to twin staggered. Had something like tripple 800's and to said you add 50 more hp per side and accomplish the same thing. So in retrospect he ended up with 850's for conversation sake.

Staggered's are nice, and much easier and cost effective to work on too. Just my .02,.........but going staggered doesn't scare me.

Jon
Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Vote goes for twins .....Always wanted to see a 419 with big HP Staggard Twins .......m
Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Registered

What about pulling them motors and mounting four or five outboards on the back instead???

Or.....float that 419 out on that lake in the backyard and use it for target practice??

Hey buddy.....how have you been??

Matt
Old 12-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Registered

Big twins (700+hp) through Konrads, or even Arnesons....super cool factor!

I would think 525SC's are the limit for a Bravo...so you gotta change the drives anyway.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outlaw 30 target practice? All is well. I am finally getting around to a complete update of the "mothership". I'm currently focussing on the cosmetics, painting the grey dash silver like the new ones, new carpet, replacing all the wood with plastic board, all new vinyl in the cockpit, new headliner in the cabin, new trim and tab cables, etc. Once I get that done the engines are coming out and I just can't figure out the best set-up for re-saile. Hope the Outlaw is running good.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered

Outlaw 30 target practice? All is well. I am finally getting around to a complete update of the "mothership". I'm currently focussing on the cosmetics, painting the grey dash silver like the new ones, new carpet, replacing all the wood with plastic board, all new vinyl in the cockpit, new headliner in the cabin, new trim and tab cables, etc. Once I get that done the engines are coming out and I just can't figure out the best set-up for re-saile. Hope the Outlaw is running good.
Sure....target practice with the 30 OL....why not? These boats aren't worth squat in this economy anyway....which makes me wonder if you will ever get the money that you are spending on the 419 back out of it ?? You have WAY more energy than I would have to be doing all that work....but I know how nice it will turn out when you're done.

I would stick with the factory setup....even though I'm not a fan of triples.... I think keeping it original will bring more money. The Outlaw is running great and hope to be running it down there someday soon.

Matt
Old 12-10-2009, 05:23 AM
Registered

If you want twins

go side by side - way less work - just close the hole from center engine

Good candidates

Merc 700 or Ilmor 725

Do not go with Bravos and twins - wont last long with this heavy boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.