Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Whats up with Formula? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/246214-whats-up-formula.html)

shinglman 01-23-2011 08:04 AM

Whats up with Formula?

What the heck is going on with Formula. I called before Christmas for a price on a 382 swim pad skin. I was told I would have someone call me within a day or two. I have called two times a week ever since and am being told the guy I need to talk to is in the shop and is busy and will call me the next day. This has been going on for a month now. Has anyone else ran into this kind of problem? I am currently going through another company and can honestly say I will not buy any parts from formula and would be scared to buy a new boat if this is how there customer service is ran.:bsflag:

t500hps 01-23-2011 08:27 AM

They used to get all the skins from McLeod.....who is essentially closed. They might be trying to get them to re-sell and are having the same troubles you are. Considering the state of McLeod, your probably better off getting them custom made. (unfortunetly)

kjm5125 01-23-2011 09:19 AM

I sent an email, talked with Scott at Formula, they had my skin in stock and it's now on it's way. The time line was about one week.

shinglman 01-23-2011 09:42 AM

Well that makes me mad. I have been in contact with them for over a month. I got to talk to scott one time. He said let me check to see if we still have that pattern and I will call you tomorrow. That was the first week of this month. I call every week and have not been able to reach him again. I am always told he is out in the shop so I will take your name and number and have him contact you. This has never happened yet.

1MOSES1 01-23-2011 10:41 AM

I hate to say it but I too have had poor experiences when dealing with customer service...i called numerous times, left messages, and no call backs...

JayFan 01-23-2011 10:51 AM

Guys, guys, guys......... don't you all know that Formula is swamped with all the NEW BOAT orders!!!!! :bsflag:

RedDog382 01-23-2011 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 3304889)
They used to get all the skins from McLeod.....who is essentially closed. They might be trying to get them to re-sell and are having the same troubles you are. Considering the state of McLeod, your probably better off getting them custom made. (unfortunetly)

Not so. This may have been the case several years ago, but Formula has been producing skins in house. McLeod was telling customers they made them for Formula, then ordering skins from Formula at a discount and marking them up.

RedDog382 01-23-2011 01:07 PM

Formula has always been the best in customer service, but you have to remember the crunch the ecomomy has put on the boating industry. The factory is in a small town in a corn field in Indiana where everyone knows everyone and the plant was literally family.

I remember seeing Scott Porter washing down one the pace boats after a race one time at Metro Beach. I commented to one of the Formula guys "wow ... the boss washes the boats too ...?" He said "the boss does everything". He told me that Scott was know to even go out and relieve the guy on the lawn mower at the plant for a lunch break.

I think it has been very difficult for the Porters to have to lay off so many of their people. Hopefully they will get back to where they were if/when the ecomomy improves.

FRMULTR 01-23-2011 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by JayFan (Post 3305031)
Guys, guys, guys......... don't you all know that Formula is swamped with all the NEW BOAT orders!!!!! :bsflag:

Good one!

SlowPlay 01-23-2011 09:25 PM

hey can you hook me up with some contact info with who you have been dealing with? Ive been trying to get up with them to get the same stuff but they have not called me back.

sdodson1 01-24-2011 09:14 AM

Your not the only one! I have tried for weeks to get that call back!

mroberts 01-24-2011 09:39 AM

I call and talk with Scott Smith in the parts department on a regular basis?

There have been times when I couldn't get ahold of him, but I would say he is around 95% of the time....

I think he has been a great help.

I guess shoot me a PM if anyone needs help with anything.

314joey 01-24-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by kjm5125 (Post 3304934)
I sent an email, talked with Scott at Formula, they had my skin in stock and it's now on it's way. The time line was about one week.

Same thing I did a few years ago.

88242LS 01-25-2011 01:55 PM

this is upsetting to hear allow not suprising, too much to do not enough people, but there not closed (yet) Ive never had any issue getting them, but haven't had to lately. this is about the part where I'd say call Magicfloat, but can't do that anymore either

FIXX 01-25-2011 03:06 PM

Fixx

Originally Posted by shinglman (Post 3304970)
Well that makes me mad. I have been in contact with them for over a month. I got to talk to scott one time. He said let me check to see if we still have that pattern and I will call you tomorrow. That was the first week of this month. I call every week and have not been able to reach him again. I am always told he is out in the shop so I will take your name and number and have him contact you. This has never happened yet.

try his email..

[email protected]

shinglman 01-25-2011 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mrfixxall (Post 3306982)
try his email..

[email protected]

Thank you for the email. I will try and see what happens.

axapowell 01-28-2011 11:07 AM

I have been dealing with Scott for several years with excellent results. I know that they have added many additional responsibilities to his job description, so it may be a little more difficult for him to get back to everyone.

I'm not making excuses for them, but I do know they always do there best to please us. Email is the best way to contact Scott!

Dave

Joey382 01-29-2011 08:56 PM

I think a lot of boat manufacturer are struggling these days.

Alpha Tango 01-30-2011 09:07 AM

Recently ordered some parts and needed advice. On both occasions they responded quickly . The person we've been dealing with is Steve Tester if that helps any. Good Luck.

shinglman 01-30-2011 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by WILD HAIRED CAT (Post 3311242)
Recently ordered some parts and needed advice. On both occasions they responded quickly . The person we've been dealing with is Steve Tester if that helps any. Good Luck.

I sent an email to Scott, so we will see what happens. If I don't get any where I will ask for Steve.

Thanks for the info.

Joey382 01-31-2011 12:23 PM

Boat business is really in tough shape. Too bad as they make great boats.

shinglman 01-31-2011 08:08 PM

I got an email from Scott today. All is good.

axapowell 01-31-2011 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by shinglman (Post 3312483)
I got an email from Scott today. All is good.

Good to hear it all worked out!!

Way to go Formula!

Dave

SlowPlay 02-01-2011 11:13 AM

just emailed scott.... i guess we will see....

shinglman 02-01-2011 11:19 AM

I got 1 email yesterday and 2 today. Scott is in the house.

SlowPlay 02-01-2011 02:51 PM

been back and forth with scott. Hopefully ill have all this stuff ordered tomorrow.

SlowPlay 02-12-2011 06:31 PM

Finally got everything ordered. Scott was very helpful, but he is a very busy guy.

he was even able to pull some history for me!

boilerdaddy 02-14-2011 02:20 PM

Guys, this is Scott Smith, and I am indeed very busy. Unfortunately, they give me calls and emails on most everything 2004 and before. I am also responsible for International dealers. And my title is marketing manager, so I still have responsibilities in that department. Unfortunately, I only have so much time and cannot return every call and email, or I wouldn't get anything accomplished for anyone. As some of you have noted, we have extremely limited resouces and a lot of us are wearing many hats.

I used to get extremely frustrated because I couldn't keep up and get back to every customer in a timely fashion, but decided it was better to keep my blood pressure managable and not stroke out on the job. I decided to come to work every day, put my head down and do what I can. I will try to get back to you, but it is pretty much impossible to keep up completely. I compare it to trying to drink from a fire hose.

Email is always a good option, but even then, such as over the past three weeks or so, the volume is such that sometimes messages get pushed off the bottom of the page (I mean, seriously, is this February or July?).

We are not going out of business, but we're making some concessions, 'cause that's the environment we're working in. There are still three guys handling warranty on the newer boats because that's the priority, as it should be (we will bring another fellow in in the summer, too).

So, sorry, keep trying and we might be able to help you out if possible.

Now...back to work!

axapowell 02-14-2011 06:58 PM

I know you are doing your best Scott, you and Formula have always done me right!! Your efforts are appreciated greatly!

Dave

offthefront 02-14-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by axapowell (Post 3326320)
I know you are doing your best Scott, you and Formula have always done me right!! Your efforts are appreciated greatly!

Dave

Ditto ....... I have NEVER not gotten feedback from Scott or anyone at Formula ...it might be the next day ....it might be 3 weeks .....but it gets done ....I know if anyone will make it thru all the nonsense everyone has had to endure for the last few years it will be Formula .... :drink:

dbkerley 02-15-2011 08:33 AM

Seems like a good spot to say thanks for the wiring diagrams. I was getting a bit lost before that.

sdodson1 03-10-2011 08:55 AM

Scott is on top of his game, replied in 1 day with part numbers and pics! Email is the best way!!!
Sean

RT930turbo 04-04-2011 05:25 PM

Another thanks to Scott and the Formula team. He sent me tons of wiring info on my 303 today.

Thanks Guys! :drink: