Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding. >

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Notices
Formula

IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536790[/ATTACH]
HMMM not sure if Im doing this right
Attached Thumbnails IMO......Formula may have a safety isssue with the hull/deck bonding.-deck-haul.jpg  
Old 02-08-2015, 09:53 PM
Registered

Ok Loading the pic worked. So in this pic the plexus is come apart. Whats left on there peels off pretty easy. Theres about an 8' span on both sides without any through bolt but the rest is every 18" or so. So if this stuff worked right I should have glass shredding instead of this ? The way it peels off reminds me of when you caulk something on a dusty surface then after it dries it comes right off. If I hit it with adhesive then through bolt the crap out of it and screw where the Head is and other areas I cant get to I dont see it moving. I can add a sealant after its bolted in case the adhesive splits again and it should be watertight
Thoughts
Old 02-09-2015, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleThunder
Ok Loading the pic worked. So in this pic the plexus is come apart. Whats left on there peels off pretty easy. Theres about an 8' span on both sides without any through bolt but the rest is every 18" or so. So if this stuff worked right I should have glass shredding instead of this ? The way it peels off reminds me of when you caulk something on a dusty surface then after it dries it comes right off. If I hit it with adhesive then through bolt the crap out of it and screw where the Head is and other areas I cant get to I dont see it moving. I can add a sealant after its bolted in case the adhesive splits again and it should be watertight
Thoughts
Formula told me it will take approx. 4 tubes of Plexus to re-do the entire boat (this is for a 382 though).
Old 02-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input. Did you do yours yet ?
Old 02-10-2015, 07:34 AM
Registered

Received 125 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleThunder
Thanks for the input. Did you do yours yet ?
No, my boat is in cold storage, so I am going to wait till April time frame when it is a little warmer.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

The plexus will be WAY stronger than the through bolts. I see the bolts as a assembly aid. If both surfaces are clean and the plex is the correct squeeze it will not come apart! Do not over squeeze as you would assembling furniture. The plex must be left in the joint to chemically penetrate the fiberglass. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spring time! Check your boat!
Old 03-28-2016, 10:45 PM
Registered

It will be interesting to see how many boats actually have bonding issues. The more the word gets out the more owners will be investigating...
Old 03-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Expensive Date
So in the picture were the hull and deck was not bonded at the factory,did Formula still say it was driver error?
I believe this is also the cause of water in the cabin that has been asked about many times.There are probably hulls out there that have not separated but are not sealed.And this is were the water is coming in.
I m on post 155 of 30 some pages on this thread. I have read all the posts to this point. I can not believe the amount of incompetence on part of Formula & there avoidance to take responsibility. And once again it boils down to the almighty dollar. I m in the market for a formula. Just by the evasive response of there reply is enough for me to look elsewhere. I hope as I read on they take in part responsibility. Wow,this is unbelievable. One of the most important processes in boat building & the preliminary failure rate looks poor to say the least.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drumerjb
I m on post 155 of 30 some pages on this thread. I have read all the posts to this point. I can not believe the amount of incompetence on part of Formula & there avoidance to take responsibility. And once again it boils down to the almighty dollar. I m in the market for a formula. Just by the evasive response of there reply is enough for me to look elsewhere. I hope as I read on they take in part responsibility. Wow,this is unbelievable. One of the most important processes in boat building & the preliminary failure rate looks poor to say the least.
Formula was very reasonable when jriggs and I worked with them to fix our boats last year. They somewhat stonewalled at first, but in hindsight that's understandable. The reality is is isn't a huge fix, believe it or not, and they made the process painless. Cost me about a $100 bill, a case of beer (well 5 cases if you count what riggs drank ) and a day of my life. No big deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.