Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Only going up WHY? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/254045-only-going-up-why.html)

machloosy 05-20-2011 07:46 PM

Only going up WHY?

OMC stringer outdrive only will go up, but won't go down under power. Isn't it the same trim motor? And the motor is a chevy 350 (omc 260) it won't circulate water? Is there a way to bypass the water pick ups and check only the water pump? What if I pull the thermostat out?

machloosy 05-20-2011 07:52 PM

Forgot to mention, when I push the tilt switch down, it kills the motor if its running, but the outdrive comes up as normal when the tilt switch is pushed up, motor stays running fine, no drop in rpm

Bodi 05-20-2011 08:17 PM

Does your Volt guage drop when you try to go down?

machloosy 05-20-2011 08:31 PM

I didn't check. I'll do that next. I don't believe it does though... What would a voltage drop mean? What would a lack of a voltage drop mean?

sprink58 05-21-2011 07:37 AM

My brother has had a few of these stringer drives in the past...I'll ask him. Seems that I remember him telling me about several different solonoids and that they were just like the ones that Ford used to use as remote starter solonoids...cheap and available everywhere. Check to see if ther is an up solonoid as well as a down solonoid...if there is that could be your problem. I will ask and get back to you here.

machloosy 05-21-2011 10:03 AM

Thanks sprink! Is that solenoid on the outdrive on on the transom wall inside the bilge?

sprink58 05-21-2011 11:53 AM

OK...spoke with my brother...says that as he recalls there are 4 solonoids. I don't know where they are mounted but could be anywhere. The way to verify if that is your problem is to locate each and put a jumper wire accross the solonid lugs to see if the pump runs down when you jump it...if it does then you know. You can buy those solonoids at BOW or West or even Auto Zone...they are the same. Shoudn't be more than $10~$12 or so...he said always carry spares because when they fail you are stuck.

Hope this helps.

machloosy 05-21-2011 09:02 PM

Thanks sprink, I'll check them out and it's probably that. Any idea why water would come out of the thermostat housing but not circulate through the rest of the motor?

sprink58 05-21-2011 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by machloosy (Post 3409105)
Thanks sprink, I'll check them out and it's probably that. Any idea why water would come out of the thermostat housing but not circulate through the rest of the motor?

Possibly a stuck thermostat

machloosy 05-22-2011 12:11 PM

I tested hoses?thermostat etc and the diagnoses is that the impeller isn't pushing in sufficient water. So... I have a new impeller kit, I need help getting this stringer outdrive apart. Anyone that has dealt with this drive?