Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
1987 Formula Fsl 21ft 383 stoker Please Help.. >

1987 Formula Fsl 21ft 383 stoker Please Help..

Notices
Formula

1987 Formula Fsl 21ft 383 stoker Please Help..

Old 07-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Formula Fsl 21ft 383 stoker Please Help..

Hello,
I need help with a few problems here is the history.

1: Original motor blew up was a 350 chevy 260hp.
2: Mercruiser alpha 1 outdrive .
3: 17p quicksilver stainless prop.
4: New crate motor 383 stroker.
5: New holley 650cfm marine carb
6: New mercruiser manifolds, risers, water pump everything.

So here is the issue put boat in water and let it warm up check everything out and start to pull out as always I ease into it the boat would not plane off and wouldn't go over 2000rpm.

Checked all the timing have it at 10 degrees before tried 20 degrees and 8 degrees all with no progression.

New wires and plugs. new electric fuel pump.

If you put boat in neutral and rev it up sounds awesome soon as you go in gear and put a load on it the boat has no power 2000rpm thats it. I have tried everything and still can"t come up with a solution. Timing carb everything I don"t know were to go or what to do?? Please Help any suggestions..

Also old motor used to go pretty good this one has more hp and it wont go ...
Old 07-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Specs on cam and heads?
Old 07-12-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know what distributor you are running but my money is on no advance. Get your timing light set up (you need one with a dial) set the dial to 32 deg. disconnect the throttle linkage so you can control the engine speed at the bilge. If yours is like most others you can see the tach from the back of the boat. Slowly rev the engine to 3000 RPM watching the timing mark. If you can't see the timing mark at 3000 RPM...you have no mechanical advance in the distributor.

Once you confirm this ...you can solve this quickly...get another distributor.

Good luck with this.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Issue

This may be a long shot for you but it happened to me last year. My 84 F3 LS had a similar problem. It ended up being the pick up screen on the fuel tank pick up was clogged. It ran fine at idle or free reving. As soon as you put a load on it it would stall and run like crap.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like sprink58 and nuuch said...check for timing advance and if you have a fule pressure gage handy I'd install it to see what pressure you are getting.

Question...isn't that 17" prop a bit low on pitch? You pull skiers a lot? I'd think with a 383 you should be running something higher.
My '88 F-206, 350 MAG, came stock with a 21" Mirage and I dropped it down to a 19" Laser II to get on plane quicker.

You still have the Alpha behind the 383?
Don't know what HP your putting out but if it's over 350 HP you're pushing it for that drive. Be careful how you hammer the throttle it won't take much to blow it.