Mid 80's 27 to 31 formulas?

Notices
Formula

Mid 80's 27 to 31 formulas?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mid 80's 27 to 31 formulas?

Been looking around for a bit and gotta admit, I am interested in some of these boats right now. I figure something in the 27 to 311 range would be really nice. I was going to wait a couple of years as I just bought a 04 3/4 ton 8.1L burb and a new 32' travel trailer for the family, but the prices are screaming at me! Besides, investments are borring, I figure just cash one out and play!

Read several other threads and I like the 27 to 31 foot range, looking in the great lakes region, preferrably SW MI. There is a 87 311 posted here and CL that looks nice, also a 85 27 in hudsonville and a 84 242 in woodland. These are all in the $8k to $20k range. Main problem is I have kids. Like 5 of them, NB to 11 and I suspect they will get older and bigger, maybe even have more! (What causes that?) We are also foster parents, so we can get 3 more with a phone call. I need a bow rider, but do not want a small one and do not have the coin sitting around for a nice mid cabin. The cabin looks bigger in the 31 than the 27 (duh!), but this would be a day boat for our camping trips. Oh, have 2nd burb to pull it around.

So, questions are:
Does anyone have pictures or info comparing the cockpit space of the 27 to 31 models and when did they change int he 80's?

Is there one model in that range/age that would be more conducive to fitting children it? (I figure at least 4 kids across the back.

Anyone change the seating? The bolsters in a 31 look HUGE! Any chance of chaging them out with a jump seat behind them? The 27's I looked thorugh have seats, anyone ever change them out for front back facing or a side/U shaped bench in back?

Am I nuts? (Other than all the kids, I already know that one)

Always been a typical Scarab person, but the formulas have always been a quality boat and the deals look great. Not looking for a speed rocket with the kids aboard, but want to have a nice ride that is relatively fast.

thanks all and sorry about the long winded post. Have more ???'s, but will put in different thread.

Brian
Old 08-01-2011, 04:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol ya your nuts, what you see is what you get, my opinion stay in a 87-91 range, best looks and resale, models will be 272 292 or 311, yes you can fit 4 across the back but thats about all, huge cabins super stable, not speed demons, and yes there prices are stupid cheap right now, I have considered getting any of the 3 models i listed because of cabin, but can't seem to do it, I want newer and more speed with my next upgrade, I don't thik the seat swap thing will work for you in that boat, consider a late 80's early 90's black thunder 32 my buddy just bought one for the exact reasons your asking questions about and he loves, rare boat thou and hard to find a nice one, keep us posted
Old 08-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
I have kids. Like 5 of them, NB to 11
Look for a 252 BR, probably late '90s vintage or so? Or a PC.

Mom, Dad + 5 kids (or more) just isn't gonna fly on a SR1. The 252BR gives you everything but a real cabin. They might've made a SS model also that would have a cabin, but IMHO you're probably better off with the BR if you're really going to bring Mom+NB plus all the kids.

Otherwise, you need to look at 30' open-fish boats with the cuddy like Scarab Sports, etc. Lots of room for everyone plus a little shade/protection from weather if needed.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Look for a 252 BR, probably late '90s vintage or so? Or a PC.

Mom, Dad + 5 kids (or more) just isn't gonna fly on a SR1. The 252BR gives you everything but a real cabin. They might've made a SS model also that would have a cabin, but IMHO you're probably better off with the BR if you're really going to bring Mom+NB plus all the kids.

Otherwise, you need to look at 30' open-fish boats with the cuddy like Scarab Sports, etc. Lots of room for everyone plus a little shade/protection from weather if needed.
good point also consider a 260/280ss
Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would go with a BR, 7 people in a 292 every weekend is going to drive you crazy.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Registered

Default You guys stink at helping to corrupt me!

Inconceivable! I don't think you guys understand the concept of helping talk me into an offshore boat?!?!?!?!? (You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means)

yeah, I guess you may be right. I am finally at a point in my life that I have extra money, boats are cheap and look what happens... I've settled down and had too much fun having kids.

I have reviewed a couple of Scarab 30 sports and they are nice. the prices on the 27 and 31 Formulas is just stellar though! My wife and I both miss Lake Michigan and SW Michigan, but hey, I have a great job here in Indiana so I am not knocking it! Was just thinking it would be great to drop it in for an afternoon while camping and go boating and swimming with the kids.

What upsets me about offshore boats is the interior design. Designer says "Hey, how about two bolsters and a bench seat right behind it this time!!!" come ON man! Favorite boat was a early 80's 377 scarab withOUT staggared engines. The bench sat back much further and it formed a U shaped as it wrapped around the side and behind the side by side bolsters. An offshore boat you could actually fit several people in comfortably, but I have never seen another one like it.

Oh-well. Might still go look at that 27 or 311 over the weekend, will sleep on it.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Come look at the 311 in my drive way. Located in West Michigan. Its my brothers and taking up a lot of space. It's the blue one in the Classifieds.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spazboz
Come look at the 311 in my drive way. Located in West Michigan. Its my brothers and taking up a lot of space. It's the blue one in the Classifieds.
Sending a PM. going to be up in hopkins this weekend and next weekend camping at hidden ridge resort. We were married in Allegan and lived there before moving to indiana 11 years ago. I saw that ad, it is one of the ones I was refferencing in OP. Not a bad drive to zeeland or to hudsonville where I saw a 27' one.

Taking up space huh, does he know your selling it?

Brian
Old 08-03-2011, 07:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Look at an 84 272 or 302, the cockpit is huge compared to even the late 80's formula's. The 84 302 looks like it has a dance floor for a cockpit
Old 08-03-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered
Gold Member

What about a clean 242ss....wide backseat and one set of back to back seats and the captain's chair...seast 7 and I think somewhat comfrotably. Still a little more performance oriented than the 240/260/280ss but still offers a cuddy to get out of the sun that you miss out on in a BR. Also a 252ss with the u-shaped aft seat might be a viable option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.