'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Notices
Formula

'79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

Old 01-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default '79 Formula 255 Liberator Update

We are now at the re-power stage. Tired 260's are being replaced by a pair of strong Vortec Roller Motors. I have made a serious decision to move up from Alpha/Merc No 1 drives to Bravo I's. The old 260's are out and the 2008 Bravo Transom assemblies complete with rams, cables, hoses and pumps are on the truck from Texas...should get them next week.

This old 'bird is about to get a serious kick in the ass!!

New Engines:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 260's coming out:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Dirty Bilge

[IMG][/IMG]

Clean 33 year old bilge ready for Transom assembly removal and rigging....waiting on 2: Bravo Transom assemblies. This is the only boat I have owned that has a full gel coated bilge...made clean up a lot easier.

The Formula 255 Lib on New all American 10200 lb Twin Torsion Disc Brake Trailer.

Next is template drill of 2: additional holes for the Bravo Transom Assemblies, install same along with new trim pumps, bilge pump and plumbing, bilge blowers and plumbing.

2008 Bravo Transom Assemblies arrived this past week from Boatman22 in Texas...thanks Tom...they look NEW.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Meanwhile...Engines are being set up with all of the brackets and accessories from the 260's that are worthy. Then we paint every thing. I am still engineering the exhaust and cooling. At this point we are leaning towards aluminum Hi Po manifolds through the Bravo Y pipes. I am still undecided on whether to pull raw water through hull or through the drives.

I am going to be seriously looking for a pair of Bravo I drives soon.

I spent time this weekend removing old things like bilge blowers and bilge pumps that are being replaced as well as drive trim pumps. I spent about $50 on zip ties and clips at Wards Marine Electric...just part of the deal. Once you get into one of these restoration projects you find yourself saying "might as well" a lot!!

I can see it all coming together now. Cant wait to get this classic back in the water.

Last edited by sprink58; 01-23-2012 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good John!! Keep the pics and updates coming. I like the new trailer. Mine is still on the old EZ roller trailer. I will have to update it in the future for sure. How about some interier pics............Brad
Old 01-23-2012, 06:39 AM
Registered

quick question about the mounting of the motors i noticed you previously had lag bolts is this a concern and when do you need to step up to a stronger mount?is it speed or hp
Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mach1magnum
quick question about the mounting of the motors i noticed you previously had lag bolts is this a concern and when do you need to step up to a stronger mount?is it speed or hp
Interesting that you mentioned that. I am designing a stainless stringer wrap (4) to bolt through from the sides. I am still thinking it through.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your doing a great job love following your progress can`t wait to see those bolsters in it have been looking for a pair keep up the good work.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masi242
Your doing a great job love following your progress can`t wait to see those bolsters in it have been looking for a pair keep up the good work.
I'm excited about that milestone myself...the McLeod's are going to be the cherry on top for me. Thanks for you remarks...I follow the work of others also...kind of exciting to see these things come together.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Murphy
Looking good John!! Keep the pics and updates coming. I like the new trailer. Mine is still on the old EZ roller trailer. I will have to update it in the future for sure. How about some interier pics............Brad
Here is the current configuration Brad...realize I have the rear gutted now though.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The two fronts are being replaced by a pair of McLeod drop out bolsters from a '89 292. I am considering re-covering the cabin and cockpit seating in a neutral Foam Backed Ultra Leather with a lighter colored carpet and headliner.

The instrument panel is to be updated with new gauges and a GPS/Chart plotter. I am still engineering the sound system...toying with the idea of a 3KW Gen Set and A/C for the cabin. I am open to ideas and suggestions.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:51 AM
Registered

Looks good! I thought about recovering my cabin in that Ultra Leather too just to give it a more updated look. I did end up putting fibarglass sheet on the floor in the cuddy which pretty much matches the non skid in the cockpit. That way it is much easier to keep clean. As soon as Im completely done for this season I will put some pics up here. What is the best way to clean up the bilge? Mine isnt the gel but the rough glass finish. Also where were you thinking on putting the genset and A/C?
Old 01-24-2012, 06:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Murphy
Looks good! I thought about recovering my cabin in that Ultra Leather too just to give it a more updated look. I did end up putting fibarglass sheet on the floor in the cuddy which pretty much matches the non skid in the cockpit. That way it is much easier to keep clean. As soon as Im completely done for this season I will put some pics up here. What is the best way to clean up the bilge? Mine isnt the gel but the rough glass finish. Also where were you thinking on putting the genset and A/C?
I used Purple Power Degreaser..ate it up.

As far as the Generator is concerned...there is a big space in my bilge forward of and between the engines that is adequate for a small 3KW unit. The area in the cabin behind the sink on my port side which is flipped from yours...I think yours is starboard from my memory...there is a lot of wasted space that is perfect for a self contained A/C unit.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Very cool updates. Looking forward to more!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.