382 handling

Notices
Formula

382 handling

Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 382 handling

Finally got a chance to run the bird through its paces. I was impressed by how well it can hold a 90 degree turn at 45 mph. Lots of S turns on my river. I could use some help on take-off. Whats the best way to muddle through the cavitation? Does altering trims help along with throttle adjustment?
Old 05-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whistler
Finally got a chance to run the bird through its paces. I was impressed by how well it can hold a 90 degree turn at 45 mph. Lots of S turns on my river. I could use some help on take-off. Whats the best way to muddle through the cavitation? Does altering trims help along with throttle adjustment?
What do you run for props? Adding a blade helps with hole shots, but it all depends on what you are looking for.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm turning stock 28 Bravos with 650hp/650ft.lb. torque on Stellings boxes, no problems with cavitation on planing without tabs and drives tucked in. With the right props, you shouldn't have a problem if you take it easy on the sticks while planing.

Is this a Fastech or straight bottom 382? Caution on the 90* turns if stepped!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boat is a 2007 with the 600's. It came with 5 bladed props. I haven't checked their size yet. I'm just looking for a steady ride up on plane. I've heard so many stories about tearin up drives, so I'm trying to take it easy. On the turns, they're not abrupt but steady hard lefts and rights. Will the fastech "catch an edge" in a hard turn?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I had a 2002 w/o boxes and 630hp each. Ran 30P or 32P Bravos depending on cruise desired but also ran full 15 5/8 diameter 28P Maximus the last year I owned it. I was told those were the same prop Formula delivered the 600 boats with. Drives in, tabs about 1/2 down, roll into the throttle until the bow starts to drop. Never had cavitation issues.

Formula is quite conservative and the steps are small.....I've never heard of a 382 catching an edge and never once felt like it was going either.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whistler
Will the fastech "catch an edge" in a hard turn?
I'm certainly not an expert by any means, but from my reading and current understanding it's kind of exactly the opposite. In a straight hull, one would normally tuck the drives just a little tighter entering a turn. Doing this in a stepped-hull would tend to lift the stern relative to the bow increasing the likelihood of the hull edge actually (because of the steps and aeration under the hull) losing grip and slipping out of the turn. The hull then skips and bounces on the edge again, pitching the boat over to the opposite edge which then catches and flips the boat away from (in the opposite direction of) the turn.

Formula's steps are very conservative and I've never felt anything remotely close to this, but I would be very cautious in making sudden aggressive manuvers at speed and be sure to NOT trim the drives in before entering or while completing tight turns.

If I remember correctly, there was a lot of discussion about this in old threads here on OSO. The Tres Martin handling course would probably be the best source of stepped hull handling expertise.