Notices
Formula

400ss

Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400ss

I am thinking of shopping for a 03 or newer 400SS and would like some opinions of this boat from owners and previous owners. I am only interested in 525 boats and was wondering what is the range to expect at 40mph? The option I am looking at are hard top vs canvas. I would like to trailer it and the extra weight savings would help, also the extra bridge clearance. How do they handle the rough water do they feel like they are built solid? Any manufacture issues that are out there?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Registered

We took delivery of a 2012 400ss in June with 525s and a hardtop. As I recall we burn about 45 g/h at 40. Maybe a little more. On the flip side we hit 62 mph with a hull that had three months worth of river scum. I wouldn't be surprised to see 63 or 64 mph with a clean hull.

I prefer the radar arch look but the hardtop is really nice. Its rock solid. So is the hull. Formula still builds a great boat.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Seems like about 200 mile range according to your fuel consumption.
Thanks for the info

I'm going to try to test ride one with the wife to make the final decision.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Registered

I have a 2004 with the regular arch and 500 EFI, B3x drives.

It is a GREAT boat.

In retrospect, I kinda want the hardtop. A lot easier to not have stuff flapping around and keeping up with the canvas parts when not in use.... HOWEVER, the regular arch is much younger and sporty looking.

Ultimately, the arch/hardtop is going to be dependent on what type of weather you experience and what hassles you want to deal with.

I have had mine up to about 60mph. Never watch fuel consumption, but I can tell you that you can literally watch the gauge go down at those speeds! hahahah

Be SURE to get the bow-thruster option. The boat responds very slowly at idle speeds and can be a B**CH to dock in high winds. I just got lucky on getting the bow-thruster on mine... I can only imagine what trouble I would be in if I didn't have it.

I also highly recommend the extended swim platform.

Its one of my favorite boats ever, and I get compliments EVERYWHERE I go.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ptufaro
Seems like about 200 mile range according to your fuel consumption.
Thanks for the info

I'm going to try to test ride one with the wife to make the final decision.
What are you wanting to spend...? Prices on the 400 can be all over the board.

I know of a lot of them that are out there. I just bought mine last year... so I can help you if you give me some of your criteria
Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 616 Likes on 180 Posts

I have a 06 400SS with 525's and run in the pacific so have some pretty rough water to deal with. it has been surprising that things have not come apart but it is a very solid boat.

Also i trailer it and that is the only drawback i see with the boat. i can trailer by just taking the light and top of the radar off. i towed it couple times with my F450 and it never really gave me a warm fuzzy feeling, The sport chassis is the only way to go, now it feels safe and comfortable.

i have 250 hours and for the most part it has been trouble free.

The bow thruster is a big plus, 99% of the time you don't need it but when you do it is great to have.
With 525's it will go 60.
it's a great party boat and not to bad to sleep on either. the factory stereo rocks.

Trailering like i said is the only drawback which is why i am going to get a Cigarette.
Attached Thumbnails 400ss-img_0984.jpg  

Last edited by H20 Toie; 10-27-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=mroberts;3537769]I have a 2004 with the regular arch and 500 EFI, B3x drives.

It is a GREAT boat.

In retrospect, I kinda want the hardtop. A lot easier to not have stuff flapping around and keeping up with the canvas parts when not in use.... HOWEVER, the regular arch is much younger and sporty looking.

Ultimately, the arch/hardtop is going to be dependent on what type of weather you experience and what hassles you want to deal with.

I have had mine up to about 60mph. Never watch fuel consumption, but I can tell you that you can literally watch the gauge go down at those speeds! hahahah

Not worried about the consumption for cost as much as range.

Good point about the noise from the canvas in the wind. I didn't give that much thought, but I'm sure I would not want to hear that for an extended amount of time.

Thanks for the coments
Old 10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Try a test-ride on a 400SS with the Volvo diesels. You'll be surprised. Figure about twice the range.
Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

We got a 2007 with hardtop and diesels. Runs high 40s but very gentle on consumption. Great solid all around boat. May be for sale if interested.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SLOWRIDE-388
We got a 2007 with hardtop and diesels. Runs high 40s but very gentle on consumption. Great solid all around boat. May be for sale if interested.
Thanks for the info but I am going to test a gas boats first before I decide. I think the gas power will fit my plan better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.