Positive Flotation

Notices
Formula

Positive Flotation

Old 12-11-2012, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Positive Flotation

I am wondering if anyone here knows for sure if the 1996 330 Sun Sport has 'positive flotation' . . . or if in fact all Formulas have positive flotation, due to the foam filled cavities.

I emailed Scott Smith at formula regarding this, but I thought that I would also pose the question here.

The 1996 brochure mentions the foam filled cavities, but does not specifically mention 'positive flotation'. however, the 1999 brochure uses the term 'positive flotation'. So, I am wondering if they made some changes between those years to gain a bit more flotation.

My 1991 242SS had positive flotation, per the product literature, but the literature on the 1996 models is a bit vague.

I did some measuring and guesstimation of my 330SS, and figure that it might come up a bit short on the flotation, versus the published weight specs. If I am a bit short, there are plenty of places to add some flotation in the structure . . . If I am way short, then probably not enough space.

TIA for any info.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I doubt that they mean the thing will float like a Boston Whaler will. I think they probably mean it will just sink a little slower. Best measure is to have all your preventative maintenance in place and make sure you have a plan in place just in case. Know were all your life jackets are...
Old 12-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are there twin engine boats with positive floatation like a runabout has?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 AM
Registered

I got a reply from Scott Smith, indicating that the 330SS has positive flotation. He was going to do a little bit of research as to how much foam is installed in the boat, etc.

I think it is fair to say that in a 'sinking' incident, the stern would most likely go under and the bow may be the only thing showing above water.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:18 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did he define what positive flotation ment? IE that it will float indefinatly or that it will just slow the process. I saw a cat go down in seconds after it stuffed. We got there about 30 seconds after the accident happened and did not have time to tie a rope to the boat before it went to the bottom with the driver still inside.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Did he define what positive flotation ment? IE that it will float indefinatly or that it will just slow the process. I saw a cat go down in seconds after it stuffed. We got there about 30 seconds after the accident happened and did not have time to tie a rope to the boat before it went to the bottom with the driver still inside.
I did follow-up to ask what they termed "positive flotation", as to your point it can mean different thing to different people. I believe that there is a specific meaning to 'positive flotation', but its terminology is not always adhered to, etc.

I am awaiting some follow up, on the details.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

If I had a boat sinking and was worried if it had positive flotation, I would just put on my life jacket, get on top of the boat to make sure it went under all the way!
Old 12-12-2012, 03:35 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

I think this ids Positive Floatation
Attached Thumbnails Positive Flotation-flotation.jpg  
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BONDO10
I think this ids Positive Floatation
That is POSITIVE, but I would still jump on it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Most of the time positive flotation means that in case of a hull breach the boat will still be on the surface in some fashion. I think uscg has standards for this term and that it is required on vessels under 23 feet in length. I would doubt formula would use this term incorrectly due to possible litigation if an injury or loss of life happened that could have been prevented by positive flotation.

LC

Last edited by looseconnection; 12-12-2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Dam spelling and missing letters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.