Silent thunder gasket >

Silent thunder gasket

Notices

Silent thunder gasket

Old 11-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silent thunder gasket

Boating season is over here In Ohio so I'm fixing a few issues. I noticed the gasket was not sealing and there was exhaust blowing out between the transom and platform. If I remove the platform where can I get a new gasket for it? Also when reinstalling should I just use 5200 to seal up the bolt holes ?
Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcarroll View Post
Boating season is over here In Ohio so I'm fixing a few issues. I noticed the gasket was not sealing and there was exhaust blowing out between the transom and platform. If I remove the platform where can I get a new gasket for it? Also when reinstalling should I just use 5200 to seal up the bolt holes ?
Email Scott Smith with Formula: scotts @ formulaboats.com He sold me the 2 gaskets last summer. I took the swim platform off my 1989 242ss and I am not sure what year yours is, but on my year they used a green glue that was also a rot preventative...this stuff was no joke. We tried everything in the book to get the platform bolts out of the transom... my last resort worked - a blow torch on the bolts from inside the transom to melt the glue enough to pull the platform off the transom.

I used 4200 on the thru hulls when reapplying the platform... I only use 5200 when I have no plans to EVER do the job again.

FYI - You most likely will also see that your swim platform wall that sits against the transom is rotted... Mine was extremely rotted... So be prepared to have to rebuild the fiberglass up as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

you just need some ~3/4" D shaped Gasket stock .... Ditto on the 4200 .... Also on the rot ... m

http://www.mcmaster.com/#foam-rubber...askets/=p8gw16

http://www.speedwake.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58926

Last edited by offthefront; 11-04-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Registered

Good luck! If all else fails put through-hulls through the platform too.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rcarroll View Post
Get all the gaskets from scott at formula. He is awsome to work with. There should be no reason to use any sealer on bolts due to rubber gaskets on bottom u bolts.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:52 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

throw that junk in the dumpster!
Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The inner gasket surrounding the exhaust pipes are:

0064 EA GASKET D SHAPED CIRCLE 128P-A $13.20 each

We also started using what we called "five-finger" gasket around the perimeter of the platform/transom interfaced:

4143 FT GASKET CS103 HR1 103H3-500 $1.00 per linear foot

The five finger gasket has a peel-off backing, and you will need to hot glue the circular gaskets.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:13 PM
Registered

Ok I took the platform off today it does not appear to be made of wood it's like a foam core wrapped in glass. May have been fixed once idk. Anyways I will contact Scott for the gaskets because I can't find a aluminum platform for under 1500 if mine was rotted or messed up I would prob spent the $$ [ATTACH=CONFIG]513364[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]513365[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Silent thunder gasket-image.jpg   Silent thunder gasket-image.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 07:16 PM
Registered

And one other thing the flappers inside the hull tips are missing. Would it be a good idea to install some clamp on rubber flappers ???
Old 12-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The rubber flappers are easy to change now. Take a long screw driver and pull off rectangle tip top 2 screws. The flappers are pinched between the stainless strips along the top.
Easier to do now the ST deck is off.
I've done 9 tip flappers with locally available rubber. Get the kind that has a cloth integrated into it. Little more durable.
Or just go red or orange silicone to show off the tips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.