Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   1987 242 ss wiring diagram / manual availability (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/311603-1987-242-ss-wiring-diagram-manual-availability.html)

GLENAMY 242SS 04-29-2014 08:24 AM

1987 242 ss wiring diagram / manual availability

1st post on forum, 3rd formula, my newly adopted baby is a 1987, 242 ss, 454 mag (330 damn), alpha (damn again) , trail-rite alum trailer in conroe, tx area.
1st sea trial was on fri went quite well but as expected the never ending project is now in my un-capable hands.
First observed problems, a horific oil leak from rear of engine at speed and low mph/rpm/faulty gas gague (where is that sending unit and how to repair?) and inop trim gague, no prop and bent prop shaft.
Prop purchased, 21 cleaver and straightened shaft.

Overall i am fairley satisified with results.

Oil leak appears to be intake manifold rear gasket, parts in hand.

My question (finally), is there a source to locate a wiring diagram for this boat? The po apperantly was not satasfied with the way formula wired everything (and i mean everything) in the boat. Did i mention this was deffinatly not his day job.

Currently trying to straighten out everything in engine compartmen and drive unit. Problem areas i found and am working on so far, electrical
1) mercathode wiring
2) drive position sensors
3) trim/tilt/throtle cable(s), yes he had wired 2 of them and spliced wires to/from/together on both at the same time.
4) discription on breakers/function oif each in engine compartment.

Love my formulas and this will be a bueaty when completed.
Any all help welcome-great forum

thank you in advance

glenamy 242ss

tpenfield 04-30-2014 06:37 AM

The manual for the engine is also going to have the wiring diagram for most of the things you mentioned. I am not sure that Formula actually provided a separate wiring diagram, since they use most of the engine wiring from mercruiser.

You should be able to find PDF versions of the manuals online (somewhere).

GLENAMY 242SS 04-30-2014 08:38 AM

Tpenfield, thank you, i agree with the mercruiser manual with wiring diag. For motor area (ordered yesterday-clymers)
--but--
i need one for the boat wiring, cabin, breaker panels (both), cockpit, etc. Formula stuff.
As i mentioned the po must have had stock in a butt connector company. There are splices, connectors, wiring patches everyplace!
Thanks

tpenfield 04-30-2014 02:31 PM

Yea, I am not sure you will find that wiring in a diagram. Your best bet may be to contact Formula Tech Support via the web site "contact us" page. They are usually pretty good at responding.

GLENAMY 242SS 05-01-2014 08:38 AM

tpenfield, thanks for the help. I called Scott at Formula and he provided me with complete formula wiring for 242 SS (boat, interior, cabin, gauges, etc). in pdf format 8 pgs.
Also sketches of Silent Thunder platform, mine does not have (YET)! and he researched original engine/drive S/N's and original delivery location.
Formula is GREAT w/customer service.
If anybody else needs these drawings pm me and I will get them to you.
Thanks all.

tpenfield 05-01-2014 12:04 PM

Formula has been great with support, particularly for secondary owners. They have helped me out a number of times. Glad you got the info you need, and I hope the PO had not butchered the wiring too much.

GLENAMY 242SS 05-01-2014 12:30 PM

Nothing major just lots and lots of wire patches coil/trim/trim handle/stereo/mercathode. You get the jestof it.
Currently refurbing the outdrive, any experience/advice in painting outdrive? Got new bellows, trim pucks, decals, researching primer, paint, clear recommendations, i will start a new thread about that part and don't be suprised to see me asking questions about some of the proper wiring configuration.
I hate on the water boat problems! (also do not like in the air, airplane problems/failures)
thanks for your help

tpenfield 05-01-2014 03:00 PM

I had me a 1991 242SS for about 7 years . . . loved that boat.

aquaforce 05-04-2014 09:40 PM

Welcome and congratulations on the Formula. I have the same boat. I made some changes but I don't have the Formula diagrams. I would like to get those.

GLENAMY 242SS 05-05-2014 08:11 AM

Aquaforce, pm me your e-mail and i will send to you. Have a great one