Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Vent hole in bow?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/32746-vent-hole-bow.html)

ThirdBird 09-11-2002 06:04 AM

Vent hole in bow??

Hey Formula Dudes,
On all three of the Formulas I've owned, there is a small hole in hull at the bow, just starboard of the stem. Does anyone know the purpose of this hole? It seem to connect to the small under-cushion storage in the v-berth. Is this a vent for that storage area? If so, it lets more water in than out. Whenever I am in rough water and taking waves up to the rub rail, water pumps in through that little hole. Its a PIA, I have to go up there and sponge out the storage area. So........I plugged the hole. Any thoughts from you guys?? :confused:

Bill272 09-11-2002 06:42 AM

I've got the same thing, but thought the previous owner drilled it out to drain out water that might leak in from the bow cleat. I thought about sealing it up, but put a small chrome clamshell over it instead. I put it on with 4200, open end facing back and down. It will still drain any water that might get in there but it doesn't take any in. I can take a pic of it this weekend...

OldSchool 09-11-2002 07:28 AM

Mine has the same vent, but I'm pretty sure it is the vent that's connected to the head.

Craig

mfb357 09-11-2002 08:06 AM

Overflow and water tank vent hole, located just above first strake line at the starboard side of bow.

ThirdBird 09-11-2002 08:19 AM

MFB, its not the water tank vent, thats a seperate vent. Maybe an overflow, but my previous boats (223 and 242) didn't have built-in tanks but still had the holes. Guess I could call Steve Tester at Formula and find out what the heck it is.

ThirdBird 09-11-2002 08:26 AM

Bill, I thought about covering it with a clam shell too. But then it just draws more attention to it. Not a bad idea though. At least its function, whatever it is, would maintained.

blown formula 09-11-2002 03:58 PM

You aren't asking about the drain for the bow anchor storage are you???

BAD-HABIT 09-11-2002 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Add me to this too....When I first got the boat It would take on water when "plowing" at speeds just under plane. It would leak into the compartment in the front of the cabin where the docking lights are and where the support for the center cleat is on deck. From this compartment it drained into the cabin floor.......I used silicone on the outside and filled the inside hole with marine-tex. That was 3 years ago and I haven't had any problems since....I still wonder what the hell it's for though.......BOILERDADDY are you there??????:D :D :D Here is a pic of the hole from the outside......

"Bad-Habit"
86 F3LS

mcollinstn 09-11-2002 09:49 PM

hmm

I ain't got one like that (91 F311SR1)

Bill272 09-11-2002 10:48 PM

That's the one...